Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Hunters Out There?

If I can't be in a boat or behind a boat, my next pasttime is hunting. Anybody else out there like to chase birds or other wild game.

I am primarily a bird hunter. I hunt quite a bit with Abuckomamotombo (07 OBV and posts here once in a while).

Have 2 dogs. Hunt upland birds and waterfowl. Fully enclosed decoy trailer for waterfowl hunting, and when neccessary I bring the ATV with.

Harvest 200 plus birds a year, but this is what my family eats all winter long. We substitute the game where most people would eat chicken.

I do hunt deer, but it isn't a big deal for me. Just a quick hunt to put some steaks, jerky, and sausage in the freezer.

If I am not dreaming about waterskiiing, then I am dreaming about hunting.

Love it though don't get near enough time to do it. Grew up hunting EVERYTHING with my buddy Jeff, now I'm pretty much relegated to just deer hunting. This year was awesome as I got to get out hunting with my dad again after about a 10 years of us hunting with different parties. My dad and I started hunting together from the time your old enough to get a permit which I think is about 13 years old or so. We've never owned and hunting land and as spots became scare (and scary as untrained hunters moved in) we ended up finding seperate places to hunt. I moved farther north into rifle country and he moved south to shot gun territory.

This spring my parents bought an old farm that sits on 40 acres about 2 hours north of Minneapolis, most of which has treed over. My dad calls it the cheapest 40 in the state but its actually a pretty nice plot of land. They have an old farm house, a 3 car garage a couple of out buildings and a nice sized stream that cuts through the plot. The story would be better if we put any meat in the freezer but the trip was cut a little short this year as my wife and I were expecting a baby but it still made for a great first year.

On the upside I did see 5 deer, 2 grouse and a big ole porcupine in only a day and a half of hunting. We've got some big plans for next year including moving a stand, building a new one and opening up so shooting lanes to what I like to call a Deer Highway by my stand. It's just to brushy to get a clean shot into it and the deer love to travel right through that little lane.

Sled491 Guest

I'm huge upland bird guy, hence the Springer Spaniel. Fell in love with bird hunting when I lived in Canada. Nothing beats a warm sunny afternoon putting along on your quad chasing chickens. Never anything like your 200, my best was 51.

For fathers day this year my wife got me a 12 bird hunt at a local club. Have yet to use it, hopefully in Jan.

Love my Citori!

But I also find as much time as I can for big game as well. I hunt Archery, Gun, and Muzzle Loader seasons. Got 2 small deer this year, and to tell you the truth my wife (being a bit of a health and fitness freak) prefers the venison as there is almost zero fat in it. I process all my owm meat, and even make my owm jerky. Going to try to make my owm Brats over the holidays.

My freezer is filled with fish I catch, birds and deer I shoot, and lobsters I catch as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    and lobsters I catch as well
    Now that could turn me into a hunter!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Birds is hunting, using a bow is hunting, using a deer feeder is not hunting whatsoever...it's actually pretty weak and sorry. Lobster or spear fishing is awsome, wish I had an ocean near me to do it.
    Last edited by you da man; 12-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Ha, ha! I did'nt even know what a deer feeder was until I saw one on TV. Feeding and baiting are not legal in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by snowboardcorey View Post
    Ha, ha! I did'nt even know what a deer feeder was until I saw one on TV. Feeding and baiting are not legal in MN.
    Deer feeders are legal in TX unfortunately but baiting a field for birds is illegal. I think it's funny seeing these so called deer hunters who use feeders in Academy Sports or Walmart wearing mossy oak or real tree clothes trying to say they hunt and telling their tales of the muey grande.

Sled491 Guest

Down by me in the southern part of the state baiting has been banned due to the CWD scare. I found over the years that the deer tended to hit the baits at night while you were sleeping any way!

Yep.. Deer, waterfowl, turkey hunt here.
    Killed my first NY deer last weekend! Just moved up..

Love the outdoors. Now that I am up here. Deer season ends right about time Ski/Snowboard gets rolling! Thinking about headin up to the mountain today!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I took the two shorthairs and a few friends out yesterdayn to the game farm. It is not the same a North Dakota but we are going again the 26th I think. I got three deer this year - a record for me. The buck is headed for the wall.

It would be perfect if I could work in a run or two.

Time I guess to wrap presents.

SD2

Pheasant for dinner tonight!