Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Additional Wakeplates/Trim Tabs??

Hi all: Stopped in at a boat dealership and they had just recieved a 2010 Mastercraft X-2.

I looked below the swimplatform and not only did it have the wakeplate, but it had separate trim tabs or additional wakeplates at each corner of the transom. Almost looked like "Smartabs", but they were hydraulic. Salesman says it is for surfing so they don't have to have such big bags in the boat leaving for more storage.

The is the first I have seen this. So the boat had 2 gravity bags on each side, the wakeplate behind the prop and then smaller individual wake plates on each corner of the transom.

Does everyone do this or is this something new.

Sorry, didn't mean to bring the "M" word back up again, but this was new to me. Wondering if this is new technology and if we will see this on the Moombas.

Sanger has 3 wakeplates on it's 237 model...it's called the "surf series". I hear it does help make the boat list a little to fine tune the wake but it doesn't substitute for alot of ballast. I would like to have them on my XLV

They are actually nothing more than trim tabs, and can be added to just about any boat. Just waiting for someone to try them out and report.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

This is the slowest evolution of a sport that I have ever seen.

Most of the boat makers (MC, Bu, CC, SC) were builders of ski boats. Those boats have many rules to make them available to compete. Static hulls is one of those rule. Because they are looking to multi-use platforms, they are stuck with certain ideas that are slowing down any progress for wake boats. Making a ski boat and then adding ballast and graphics and then calling is a wake boat has been the norm for a while.
    It's too bad that they don't think outside of the box and build hulls for the purpose of the boat. Yes I realize that they do this with the 22'+ boats. Also, a none static boat could probably make a better ski boat for setting new records in skiing.

Sorry for the rant, trim tabs should have evolved from Tige in 1996. Over 12 years to add more than one tab, that's just too long.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    This is the slowest evolution of a sport that I have ever seen.

Most of the boat makers (MC, Bu, CC, SC) were builders of ski boats. Those boats have many rules to make them available to compete. Static hulls is one of those rule. Because they are looking to multi-use platforms, they are stuck with certain ideas that are slowing down any progress for wake boats. Making a ski boat and then adding ballast and graphics and then calling is a wake boat has been the norm for a while.
    It's too bad that they don't think outside of the box and build hulls for the purpose of the boat. Yes I realize that they do this with the 22'+ boats. Also, a none static boat could probably make a better ski boat for setting new records in skiing.

Sorry for the rant, trim tabs should have evolved from Tige in 1996. Over 12 years to add more than one tab, that's just too long.
    Kinda like dual rudders on V-drives. It would definately help with steering these heavy boats at idle speed and backing up. Even fully loaded the Epic steered very well and backed up almost like an outboard

The reason for that Max is there is no practical application for more than one tab on a wakeboat until recently with the advent of wakesurfing, and even then it's still not a proven. Remember that dual or multiple tabs have a purpose on an I/O or outboard but not so on a wakeboat.

Think about it, an I/O hull is a deep V configuration bow to stern and benefits from them, hence the purpose of the tabs for trim. A ski/wake hull is generally semi-V to deep V in the bow portion and semi flat to flat at the stern region. It is this way for a reason, not just a ski boat holdover. How many of you have had or seen an I/O try to make a good wakeboard wake? They can get decent with a lot of additional weight, but it's hard because of hull shape, it's against physics to sink a deep V enough to do it.

As far as multiple tabs on a wakeboat i could see where they could assist wakeboarding to help balance weight and shape the wake a bit side to side, but that's an awefull expense add-on for something you do anyway. As far as the surfing app it does probably help a bit, how much is hard to say but Sanger only has it on the V237 which is a big heavy boat. Notice you don't see it on the V215 which profile wise is almost identical to our LSV's.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Tabs won't assist in the steering of an inboard one bit at idle. If anything though it might actually hinder it at speed depending on hull design and placement.

The biggest reason Epic came up with that dual-rudder design was because they are the only boat with up to 4,000lbs of factory ballast. It comes with the 8.1L engine and needs every bit of it to move that much weight.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Tabs won't assist in the steering of an inboard one bit at idle. If anything though it might actually hinder it at speed depending on hull design and placement.

The biggest reason Epic came up with that dual-rudder design was because they are the only boat with up to 4,000lbs of factory ballast. It comes with the 8.1L engine and needs every bit of it to move that much weight.
    Razz - I don't think he meant tabs would help the steering. Just the dual rudders.

Which I agree with.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

until proven wrong, I still think there's no replacement for displacement(from the car days). you still need weight to get a good wake. the trimtabs should help clean up the face of the surfwake, but I would be surprised if they can take a 3ft wake and make it 4ft.
    I'd sure like to be proven wrong, as trimtabs would be a relatively cheap addition to a boat, but I only see them as cleaning it up.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    until proven wrong, I still think there's no replacement for displacement(from the car days). you still need weight to get a good wake. the trimtabs should help clean up the face of the surfwake, but I would be surprised if they can take a 3ft wake and make it 4ft.
    I'd sure like to be proven wrong, as trimtabs would be a relatively cheap addition to a boat, but I only see them as cleaning it up.
    Without having to tell people where to sit and possibly having those small 150lb cube bags to shift around and/or take up space