Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to feed 6 preouts to 11 channels?

So my stereo upgrade consists of the following:

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x692 with 6x4V preouts
    JL Audio M6600 6 channel amp - will run the 6 cabin speakers
    Kicker 08ZX700.5 5 channel amp - will run the tower speakers and the sub
    Polk Audio db651 Speakers - 6 in the cabin, 4 on the tower (might replace with KMT6s but irrelevant for this post)
    Polk/Momo 4 ohm SVC 10" sub

I have a question about how I should connect the preouts to the amps. As I see it, I have two options:

Option 1:

1. Run the front preouts to channels 1&2 of the M6600
    2. Run the rear preouts to channels 3&4 of the M6600
    3. Channels 5&6 will sum from channels 1-4.
    4. Run the sub preouts to channels 1&2 of the 700.5. Set the preouts to deliver full signal (turn LP filter off at head unit). Channels 3&4&5 will get signal from channels 1&2.

This way, I don't have to use a splitter but I don't have the ability to fade between the cabin speakers and the tower speakers. Also, if I fade between channels 1&2 and 3&4 on the M6600, what happens to 5&6? Do they fade with one or the other or are they always getting full signal output since they "sum" from 1-4?

Option 2:

1. Run the front preouts to the M6600. Use RCA splitters so that channels 1&2 and 3&4 are connected to the front preouts. Channels 5&6 will sum from 1-4.
    2. Run the rear preouts to channels 1&2 on the 700.5. Channels 3&4 will get signal from 1&2.
    3. Run the sub preouts to channel 5 for the sub.

This way, I can fade between the cabin and the tower speakers from the head unit and can control the sub output using the remote sub knob included with the 700.5. Disadvantage is I have to use a splitter on the M6600. Is that a big deal? Will there be a discernable difference in sound quality or volume by using the splitter?

Are there other viable options? I would prefer to work with what I have rather than adding an EQ or line drivers if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Al
    Last edited by cab13367; 12-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

option 2 will get you what you need.
    some will say that you will lose signal quality from splitting the signal, but you're not building a concert quality system in a lexus, so I would doubt 99% of the poplation will hear a discernable difference in splitting the signal to the jl.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I probably would recommend the second option as well.

Phil

cab,

Follow the prescription that provides the ideal zone control as you've outlined it.

The only real issue with dividing the RCA output is that you divide the voltage. But with 4-volts you've got plenty to spare and will still have unbridled dynamic range. Also, with 4-volts your noise floor is still going to be very low if your amplifier inputs are correctly gained.

If at any point in any system there is too much division then a line driver will reinstate the lost voltage inexpensively.

David
    Earamark Marine

sandm, Phil, David,

Thx for the info. Glad to hear that splitting the input voltage will not be an issue. Option 2 it is.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, i run the jl 6600 as you know from a single pre-out ( need a 3 pre out HU for control ). but the sound quaility is fine. Get a quality RCA splitter.

Joe
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

^ well put. don't stop at home depot for the splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Al, i run the jl 6600 as you know from a single pre-out ( need a 3 pre out HU for control ). but the sound quaility is fine. Get a quality RCA splitter.

Joe
    Joe,

I assume you are using RCA splitters then? Where did you get your quality splitters?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

any good stereo shop will have some quality cables.

I got them at crutchfield when i ordered the amp. sonicelectronix has some too. your local radio shack carries monster cables. As sandm said any good car audio shop shop have some..

Al, you could probably use the JL 6600 for the kicker towers pods vs the issues with your kicker amp 700.5 ( phil states it gives them fits). my .02

I would like to know how your it powers the polk pods first though, since i won't see my baby til may.

going snow skiing in the morning 20 degrees brrrrrrrrrr. i have a buddy that wanted me to water ski this weekend with them dry suits of course
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold