Hybrid View

Default Outback or Mobius

We've been looking around the website for awhile and reading the specs for both models of Moomba and printed out the specs and everything, and it really just looks like the Mobius comes with more options already included, but you can just add em onto the outback anyways...is there really any differences between the boats that makes the base price change?? I can't find any thankyou for any response

Default Replying to Topic 'Outback or Mobius'

I am expecting delivery next week of an 04 Outback with factory installed tower, but with no ballast or wakeplate. I'm wondering the same thing; i.e., is the hull on the Outback the same as the Outback LS/Mobius LS? My family are just beginning wakeboarders and I hoped I could add the ballast, etc. as their skill levels developed. Have I made the wrong choice????

There is no difference in the boats. The Mobius just comes with more things standard than the Outback does. I have a Mobius LS, and the dealer that I purchased from told me that if I didn't like graphics on the Mobius, they could just order it with Outback stickers. They told me they were the same boats, just different standard stuff and different graphics.

The water was great today,
    Mike

Outback LS and Mobius are the same.

Outback is different

From SC

OK, I will take a shot at trying to explain the Moomba lines. It does get rather confusing so try to stay with me here.

When it comes to Outbacks, Outback LS, and Mobius Direct Drives there have only been 3 hulls since they were first introduced. I will refer to them as OB1, OB2, and OB3. OB1 was designed for 1997. OB2 was designed for 2001. And OB3 was designed for 2003. Here is the matrix you guys are looking for...

OB1 97-02 Outback, 99-00 Outback LS, 98-00 Mobius (LS)
    OB2 01-04 Outback LS, 01-04 Mobius (LS), 02-04 Outback LSV/Mob LSV
    OB3 03-04 Outback

The Mobius V and Kamberra had it's own hull from 00-03.

The Mobius XLV has it's own hull new this year.

Hope that explains it.

Matt Brown

Nice job noneya! The regular Outback hull is it's own "slalom" design.

I wonder if some of the dealers are not explaining things well enough to their customers, or if their customers just don't ask the question before they are ready to sign on the dotted line?
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI

This is not encouraging. If the regular Outback is just a slalom hull, I can't understand why Skiers Choice shows it with the optional tower in their 04 brochure, or why my local dealer orders in most of their Outbacks with a tower. The LS costs only about 10% more, with tower. I'd have gladly paid the difference, (except I'd have had to wait until late summer to get an LS here). Looks like either the dealers DO need better information from the mfg on this topic, or they need to do a better job of explaining it to prospective customers. FYI, I emailed Skiers Choice directly on just this specific question when first considering my purchase -- and received no response, which I gather from this Community Board is standard procedure at SC. So I made my decision based on dealer information...

willnorton,
    The regular outback hull being designed for slalom does not stop the boat from being used as a cross-over boat. I would guess that most dealers are just responding to typical customer wants/demands by ordering their Outbacks with towers. Seems like everyone wants a tower on their boat these days, whether they need one or not. From what I understand the regular outback hull when weighted significantly can produce a good wakeboard wake. I guess it all comes down to what the customers main activity is going to be. If wakeboarding is your thing, the V-drive boats are the way to go. If slalom is what you do, save some money, buy the regular outback with no tower and have a great time. If a cross-over boat is what you need I still believe the Outback LS or Outback LSV are the ways to go. It stinks that no one contacted you from Skiers Choice, that does not seem to be the norm, honestly that seems to be an exception. I have nothing but great things to say about SC. Bottom line... demo before you buy, then you take other peoples opinions out of the equation. Then you don't ever have to say, I wish... Good luck.
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI

Jeff Burnside;

Thanks for the input. I had to exclude the V-drive from consideration on the basis of both cost and draft. I spend most of the year in some pretty thin water in Clearwater Bay (FL), and summers at a Northern lake where we can't get a boat with 24" draft down the launch ramp. As it is, we have to submerge part of the truck to get an Outback with 22" draft in. It's good to know I can add weight (e.g. fat sacs) and produce an acceptable wakeboard wake. But all things considered, I already wish I'd had the choice of an LS.

Check out the recent posting that tells how to raise or lower the axle arrangement. Could make a little difference in your launching situation, no matter which boat you end-up with.

Regarding wakeboarding, I've found the outback is good enough --- fun for everybody, unless your planning to go from beginner to traveling pro.

To go economy, go with a base outback and a $400 removable skyjack pylon or equivalent. No pop-up cleats. Hell no to a stereo -- thats noise pollution on our lake and is treated as such by the corp of engineers running the place...

I pull 16 different college kids... we don't even mess with the pylon most of the time. Put 3 of them in the back of the boat for weight distribution and tie-off the back of the boat.

One thing you might not like about the base outback hull is it is very low to the water, so rough water is a real problem, especially with adults in the bow. If you have to navigate chop with a full load, then maybe consider moving up to a boat with a little more hull sticking out of the water.

The idea of trying it on the water is pretty key.

I had an 01 Outback b4 I got my 03 LS, just get a tower or extended pylon, 2 big sacs (600#) beside the engine and a 300# up front to balance. No weight in the trunk as it is over the fuel tank.