Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Keeping 60 Watt light in engine for warmth

Hey guys,

My boat is not getting winterized until Monday unless I do it myself, and it is getting to 35 tonight and 29 on Saturday.

I have a workmans light takes a 60 or 90 watt bulb, that I can put in the engine compartment.

Question is, where do you guys put this sucker? I am assuming the compartment needs to be closed and I didn't really want any explosions this evening.
    Last edited by WaterBullDawg1980; 12-03-2009 at 10:07 PM.

If the boat is in the water I am told that at that temp it is not an issue.

If not
    1. Keep the boat cover on
    2. I would use a strongre bulb. I have used a 150W flood., but I put it in a 5 gallon plastic pail to protect the carpet and the vinyl.
    3. I usually have a boat fender under the front edge of the clamshell to allow air in/out of the engine compartment and prevent fumes from building up around the engine.
    4. Then I put the pail next to the open edge of the clamshell.

No promises....
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

So your basically facing the open end of the 5 gallon pail toward the engine with flood shining down on it inside the pail?

I think I could rig something like that up fairly easily. I was just thinking the lid would be better served shut.

I also was toying with the idea of putting a small heater we use for a small camper inside the left storage compartment (facing the back) and then opening up the little hinged door so as to get the heat on the engine.

By the way, I have a 2005 LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    So your basically facing the open end of the 5 gallon pail toward the engine with flood shining down on it inside the pail?

I think I could rig something like that up fairly easily. I was just thinking the lid would be better served shut.

I also was toying with the idea of putting a small heater we use for a small camper inside the left storage compartment (facing the back) and then opening up the little hinged door so as to get the heat on the engine.

By the way, I have a 2005 LSV.
    Small heater in the left or right locker is best, open both engine side covers so it's one big compartment, crack the engine cover open for ventalation and you should be golden. Even at 29 it will take several hours of that temp to even start water to freeze so just havnt a heat source will prevent freezing. The most fragile area is actualy you ballast system as a lt of this is plastic. I'd unhook the lines and drain sone water, heck pull the engine block plugs and drain it n the bilage that allows any cold water more room to expand.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default boat freezing

I have my boat in an indoor storage facility (3 levels, I'd guess 100 boats). I was told that it never freezes in there. Oh, I'm in central Alabama where it's rare to go below 20 but it happens. Considering not winterizing. Opinions on how protected I am in there?
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

graybmg, you need to find out who would be liable for damage from freezing from a failed heating system or a loss of power either from their system or the utilities. If you are liable for any part of it which may be areas outside their control such as a utility outage then you need to check with your insurance if your covered and have it writing. If you're liable and insurance won't cover you then you need to winterize as the probability is likely that a power failure and sub-freezing temperatures may coexist (i.e. ice or snow storm). By winterizing you control the situation rather than the situation controlling you.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

If you have one of those little space heaters with the safety tip switch I would pull the rear seat and the v-drive inspection hatch and point it right there. I would leave the locker deviders open and the front ski/ballast locker open. as well as the the seat back to your storage under the dash. This will keep all your ballast system and lines warm as well as your heater lines if you have them. It should also help keep and water that is in the hull from freezing and and causing damage. Light bulbs are ok if you don't have any other components in the boat with water in them. Heater cores aren't cheap.
    Typically a little space heater isn't enough to burn carpet but will move enough warm air around to keep everything thawed.

PWI as usual...

Sled491 Guest

Earlier in the fall we had a few days of frost that had me a bit worried as my boat was still on the lift and I had no intention of backing it in yet. I took a work light like you describe and simply laid it under the engine facing up towards the oil pan. I then gently closed the clam and put my cover back on. Wow, I could believe how warm it was in there the next day! I had to leave it like that for about 4 days and can say without a doubt it worked as advertised.

This is what I do as well. On my engine year, there is a L shaped bracket on the front of the motor that I hang the light from. I only have a 60W bulb in there right now but it hasnt gotten to cold here yet so I rarely turn it on. I have also ran anti freeze thru the motor as well...figured it couldnt hurt.

Might be a little late on this reply. We ski in Iowa until the lakes are frozen which is usaully 1st part of December. If I don't have time to drain everything, I use a rope light on the bottom of the motor box and close the motor box cover. It's low heat and keeps the engine warm even when temperature drops to the single digits. There is no danger of catching anything on fire due to heat because you can hold the rope light. I've used this method for 10 years on many boats.