Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not only is it an issue between manufacturers.........but each dealer handles installation of some of the options as well and I would think that is where alot of the laziness and non-conforming to standards happens. Just my thoughts!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Razz, Thanks for that information. That will be great to have but as i have all ready seen some of the wires don't match this.

I would like to hear from a SC person on what they think of Quality or work when it comes to the wiring and how well they follow this standard.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by gcnettl View Post
    i have used black for both positive and negative all the time i simply crimp a red insulated connector to the pos and a black insulated connector for the neg. That way there is no confusion when changing out a battery, hooking up something else, etc. The installer should have identified the wire as being positive either by red tape, a rep insulated crimp connector, or so on. I would not rewire anything, however.

If you get into factory installed systems, you will find blue hot wires, brown hot wires, wires with stripes, black hot wires, and some very mystic color coding schemes.
    Actually, electricity, no mater the voltage, should follow a certain color code as explained above. I have been an electrician for over 22 years now. If anyone has any knowledge of this, it should be followed. Not following the wire color code could cause damage to your equipment. I will give you a great example. I was working in a house that a different company wire up. Well the customer wanted to ad lights to their Kitchen. Very simple. Now we are talking 120 volts. Black = Hot or Switchleg, White = Neutral, Green or Copper = Ground. In this case, the ground was a green wire. I went to wire everything up. Ground first, then the neutral, then the switchleg. Well when I tok the wire nout off the ground wir, I got the shock of my life. The jerk off, who wire the kitchen, used the ground wire as a hot wire. At least with a 12volt system, you will not get shocked. You will probably ruin your equipment. Follow the color code. Think of the future, If you sell your boat, then the new owner has to deal with your mess. I run into this all the time in my field.
    Not to defend or throw anyone under the bus. I also had a problem with my boat and my brother-in-laws boat. Both being a SC boat. Both boats had very similar problems with the wiring. I had to completely take it all apart, locate, and rewire the entire system. I went to my dealership to explain my problem. His answer to me was SC is not a stereo shop. All they do is very basic work when installing the stereo system. I just hope there is a different set of guys wiring up the new Links System in the newer boats.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I have had zero issues with the boat part of the wiring, but when I took delivery of my boat, it had been used by skiers for almost 90 hrs as a demo. the stereo was hosed. half the speakers didn't work and left/right balance were all wrong. they paid $120 for a local shop to go thru and fix it. shop told me it was a mess. as I tear out the factory stereo, it has amazed me some of the things I have found. it's a tossup between the 5 wire splices from the amp to the tower speakers(yes 5 splices and 3 different size/brands of wire) or the black and red 14gauge wire used to wire the sub instead of speaker wire.
    again as tazz said, not to throw skiers under the bus, but it's very obvious in mine that they fully understand how to wire a small block chevy or perfect pass, but have absolutely no clue on the stereo....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I remember back in the day working for a cable company in the 12V industry we came up with this great idea.. LETS MAKE SILVER AND BLUE CLEAR power and ground wire that is translucent. I remember sitting in the product meeting and the head engineer asked, "how do you know which is + and which is -?". We all looked at the cables and said, "You don't! But they sure do look cool dont they?"

The real crux is that both colors would work for positive and both would work for neg.

The unfortunate thing here is, I dont think you can blame the boat mfg any of this. It's just a fact that people do things different and the 12V industry isnt as mature as the high voltage guys are.

Best advice is to try to be consistent in what you wire. That way things should be pretty clear to another person that might own / work on the boat in the future. Also, take a minute to orient yourself when diagnosing cable routes. It typically is less complicated that one would think.

-Brian

Brian,

Don't get me wrong i am not blaming SC for the wiring issue. Since i have not started looking at the boat wiring i wanted to know if they follow some sort of standard or not. It is good information to have if i ever do have to look at the boat wiring.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Jester - I hear ya. I suspect they have a method to their madness or every boat would be different functionality wise (is that a word?) haha!. Anyway, If you need some pointers I'd be happy to have you roll by our offices but we are up in Lake Oswego/Portland. That's a bit of a haul.

There is also a great audio retailer down in the Eugene area called SoundSational that would probably be kind enough to give you some pointers. He has a CRAZY wakesetter that a lot of people have been talking about on another forum. Might be fun to see. Anyway, he's good boat guy and definitely kind and knowledgeable.

Let me know if I need to make a call for you. Either way, just know there's there is a helping hand or two if needed.

Cheers!

-Brian