Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quality of work - venting

Well i am starting to pull apart my amps and batterys so i can move everything around for better access because the batterys in front of the door just limits storage and well found somthing that just makes me crazy. As i was unplugging all the cables from the batterys i noticed a black wire. Well when you see a black wire you think of Ground. Red is for postive. Makes since right? Well this black wire is for a positive going to the amp for my tower speakers that i have installed by my dealer when i got the boat. This is now another wire that will have to replaced becasue of someone not taking care in their work. How hard is it to do things right the first time. Sorry this is more of a vent then anything else. People not following a simple color code or running cables the right way just drives me crazy.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Maybe it was just easier to use black.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sounds like an old electrician to me. They never get used to 12v systems.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

We purchased a new 2008 Outback V this year, no tower speakers yet ( plan on installing in spring), but with stock stereo system I have the same situation, the wire from the battery to the fuse (to amp) is black...very confusing. There is some red paint on one end but still, how hard to use red?

funny, ours had the same issue. stereo shop that re-wired the amps from the factory mess swapped it out.
    but then if you look at the wiring from the battery to the fusepanel under the dash, I have probably 8ft extra of both red and black that skiers did not take the time to cut to length. they just ziptied it up into the factory sub box..

my opinion, boats def. don't have the quality control nor the same assembly line precision that auto manufacturers have developed.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Guys,

For the installers, it's all about speed. If they have to get out of the boat to get the red wire, they ain't gonna do it.

sandm,

that does blow me away though that they would not take the time to cut your cables to length. I think it would have been faster to cut it than to zip tie it. Maybe they get paid by the lineal foot of wire installed

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

yea, it's crazy. I think that there was almost enough to run another power/ground lead for another supra boat. wasteful to say the least.
    funny though that most car audio guys I know would not even dream of using black power. they would get out and do it right.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

i have used black for both positive and negative all the time i simply crimp a red insulated connector to the pos and a black insulated connector for the neg. That way there is no confusion when changing out a battery, hooking up something else, etc. The installer should have identified the wire as being positive either by red tape, a rep insulated crimp connector, or so on. I would not rewire anything, however.

If you get into factory installed systems, you will find blue hot wires, brown hot wires, wires with stripes, black hot wires, and some very mystic color coding schemes.

Some may or may not know that there actually is a color code standard for marine wire circuits under 50 volts. For the most part manufacturers use the standard, BUT as you've now seen it's not always followed. Crimping colored tips, tape and such works but is not the best way if your tracing wires and can lead to electrical mishaps. If the proper colors are not used it's due to one thing only, laziness and lack of attention on the part of the manufacturers. If you're doing that like gcnetti is then your familiar with your system and that works, but remember it would be confusing if you take it to a dealer for troubleshooting.

For those interested here's the chart of the marine standard. The confusing part of this as you'll notice is the use of multiple colors for different circuits. I would recommend to all that troubleshoot their own problems to copy this down.

Marine Color Chart
    2007 Mobius LSV

That's great stuff. Too bad it's not universally followed.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!