Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks, I too jumped on the band wagon. I hope these are the ones everyone has been using. I just ordered three pair for the LSV.

Yes those are the ones we all have been buying, trust me Robert you will be impressed when you hear them over the Kickers. I was expecting a little improvement as i thought my Kickers sounded great. Night and Day when it comes to how smooth they sound and how crisp the highs are.

Play some Bob Seager or Eagles for a good guitar and vocal song, you will see what i mean.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Well Im going to jump in too, thanks for the post, that's an awsome price. Mike the new tower speakers look sweet. Did you get new cans? or cans and speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    you guys sure these are decent speakers?

Didn't we hear the same song and dance about the Kicker ktm6's and now everyone's replacing them with exile?

will they run off the stock kicker amp and does the mounting holes require any modification once the kicker's are removed?

e
    Absolutely Ed, Polk DB's have been the defacto for years for anyone replacing speakers whether car or marine. Even more so if you can get them at this price!

The KMT6 six issue is this, they are a very decent tower speaker setup for the money, but they are not in the same league as they more expensive HLCD setups available.

And then you have the guys that gotta have the best of everything of course!
    2007 Mobius LSV

what about the mounting - any modification necessary?

Stock Kicker amp OK?

Any settings that need to be changed on the amp?
    Ed as for the Polk DB's and everyone will find this out when they get theres or they already know this from getting there's. Polk does not have a speaker wire with its speaker. They don't come with wire and there's no wires to attach to. You have to have the very small connectors and they clip right on the the crossover board on the back of the Polk.

Take this tip and goto the local stereo install shop, tell them you got Polk DB speakers and need the terminal connectors. They charge about 2 bucks for a fist full. This will save you a headache later.

As for mounting the Polks they are a direct bolt in replacement. I had to drill a different mounting screw hole only because i wanted my labels for the Polk to be at the bottom. Not necessary its my preference.

The Polks run perfect on the Kicker amps. Most speakers don't care what amp you run them off of, as long as the RMS of the amp is similar to the speakers. Low RMS amp will push distortion, low RMS of speaker and the amp will over power them. Low RMS on the amp with a high demand speaker means the speaker will demand to much off the amp and over heat the amp. Only thing you have to change on amp setting is the gain but you have to do that any time you change speakers as different speakers handle power and sound different.

As for upgrading speakers.

Factory Kickers are great they realy sound great IMO but after blasting them all summer they didn't sound as sharp as they did when they were new. I run my stereo ragged. Ill be the first to admit it. I play it loud, i want it clean and clear. If that amp says it pushes 60RMS and those speakers say they can handle 60RMS well they dam well better because im cranking it up.

As for the KMT6s i bought last summer, i said right from the start i wanted a entry level tower speaker, that was cheap to get me started. I didnt want to drop a ton of cash on speakers i had no idea what they were about. I hated the KMT6s look right from the start. I was very happy with there performance and i feel they are an awesome deal for the cash you spend. You wont find a better 250 dollar tower speaker for projection to 75 ft. KMT6s deliver on there word.

Now when you step to an Exile, Wetsounds, or any other HLCD you are talking apples and oranges. Sure they are both speakers, sure they take simular power, but they sound completely different.

HLCD is best described in my words as a concert speaker. They are nothing like a car speaker. You cant crank these up and stand in front of them, its literally painful to the ears. They arn't designed to be heard close up. They are designed for you to get way back and listen. What you hear is the same quality as if you stood right in front of a quality home, or car speaker. You hear the strum of a guitar, the breath a singer takes as they sing a slow song, you hear the most minute background noises in a song but all this is at 80 ft.

I can turn on the Exiles and play music at low volumes and you can hear the difference in them then a regular speaker. Its hard to explain in words what they sound like, you really want to hear them in person.

I herd some Wetsounds over the summer and man i was amazed the difference compared to what i had. I knew i wanted something along those lines but just didn't know what. I knew it would cost me some serious cash as well.

As for those who want the best? Yes i am one of those. I spent all my life getting the hand me downs, and second rate stuff. I wasn't from a wealthy family and im not wealthy now. But after bankruptcy when i was 22, and losing everything i owned at 30 when i divorced and moved to Oregon, i came literally with a 79 trans am and only what fit in that car. I slept on a air mattress for 6 months and used my computer as a means for a TV, stereo, and internet access. I said right then this is the bottom. The bottom of my life. From now on i will by exactly what i want, how i want and it will be the best i can get. Thats the way i live now.

Id like to think no one on this forum pays for stuff they settle for. Why would you? Get what you want, or wait and save and get what you want. Don't do it twice, thats more expensive.

When me and Claudia got into the boating world last year it was a life changing event. 2 years ago i spent a the better part of a year on my back. I could barley walk, it was extremely painful, syatic nerve pain in both legs. My DR said Mike you mess up your back much more and you wont be able to walk, you need surgery as it is to fix the burs on your spine from all the disks you slip all the time. I wouldn't hear of an operation, to much risk for more damage. I always dreamed of a boat, a really nice one. I told Claudia we are buying one, we are getting in shape and we are changing our lives. Together we have lost 130 lbs and counting. So yes i have a ton of pride when it comes to boating as i know all of you do. This is why i spend so much money on my boat, and live to the fullest. Since i lost the weight i have so fare i haven't had an issues with my back and no pains anymore. Dr are amazed but thats how serious i was when i said i was changing my life. It was my own self intervention.

Sorry if i was on a slight rank or tanget, i get passionate about things.

Heres a pic of me Summer 08 at 300
    Heres a pic of me summer 09 at 235
    Me and Claudia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by KT Mobius View Post
    Well Im going to jump in too, thanks for the post, that's an awsome price. Mike the new tower speakers look sweet. Did you get new cans? or cans and speakers.
    The Exiles are a solid setup. You buy it all as one package. The speakers do come out of the cans but its one unit. This is because of the instant removal and 360degree spin capability they have.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yes they are the crimp on style I don't recall the size but they are very small terminals, the gauge of wire in the boats already is 16gauge and that's fine for the Polks
    [COLOR="#696969"]

you guys sure these are decent speakers?

Didn't we hear the same song and dance about the Kicker ktm6's and now everyone's replacing them with exile?

will they run off the stock kicker amp and does the mounting holes require any modification once the kicker's are removed?

e
    Ed,

These speakers are excellent quality and sound great. These normally sell for $100 or so. They have rubber surrounds and the woofer cone is made of composite material so they will stand up to the elements. Look at your stock speakers - I bet they have foam surrounds which will deteriorate quickly. Getting these for $35/pr is ridiculous. I once read about Polk Audio speakers, when they were being described by an audiophile, that you can spend a whole lot more on speakers and not get much better sound than the Polks. And even at $100/pr, there's a lot of truth to that.

As far as running of the Kicker amp, it's 100% compatible. It's a 4 ohm speaker just like your stockers and they can probably handle more power than the stock ones. Your amp won't know any different.

They will fit perfectly in the existing cutout but you might have do drill a new screw mounting hole or two as the screw holes on the Polks may not exactly match up with the ones on your stock speakers. Not a big deal.

As far as the connectors that mandley is talking about, the pic below is what you need. The Polks have spades on the back and the connectors below slide right into them. You can find them at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and all auto parts stores. You don't need to go to a stereo shop.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I brought a 3 sets of these and replaced stock kenwood speakers back in the spring. Noticiable difference just with speaker change. Thanks for the deal notice, i couldnt pass at this price for a spare set..
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Smile

After reading all thes posts,about this deal on the polk db651 speakers ,i really would like to purchase 3 sets. The only problem being is Amazon .com only will ship these items to a US address. I live in Canada and cannot find a way to have them sent here. Our version of Amazon.ca is a joke, when it comes to prices and selection when you compare the two.
    I'm looking for a way to have some shipped using the free shipping in the US to an address then have them forwarded on to me here in Calgary Alberta Canada. I'm totally willing to cover all costs, shipping included ,just need to find a way to make it happen.
    I do very little internet shopping so this is really new to me so i'm hoping someone can guide me and or help me out.