Threaded View

Default WOW! Hold off buying those tower setups!

At least until you have a chance to hear this! Kicker is coming out with a new tower setup hopefully by spring. Check this action out, two mid-base drivers and two horns for the tower setup that fits most existing cans! An additional mid can be added to each side for a six-pack! And it looks sweet! Here's a press release shot and some info from Phil White at Kicker!

"First off, we are taking a different approach with regards to mounting. We are not selling these in a can, but rather you have the option / opportunity to source your own can that you like the looks of, or if you have an existing 4-can tower system, you can just undo your old speakers and pop these in. The bolt pattern is the same as a normal coaxial speaker like a Kicker KS650. I do not have pricing settled yet, they are going to be competitive.

Power handling is AT LEAST 150 watts RMS into 4-ohms. We have tested to higher power, and do not have a firm decision about what spec to claim, but they do handle a lot of power. We are introducing a new 2-channel marine amp that is a brother to the ZX450.2 that will deliver 150 watts to each channel for a pair. When you add the accessory mids to get to a 6-can system, you double the power handling to at least 300 watts at 2-ohms, so a ZX550.2 can even be used, or you could use an 850.2 possibly as well.

Wiring them up is super easy, (A typical component set has an external crossover that the speakers have to be connected to; this complicates things). With these new components, the tweeter crossover is attached to the tweeeter. The midrange crossover is connected to the midrange. You connect the speaker directly to the amp with your tower speaker wire with no extra wiring like with a typical external crossover. It is straight parallel wiring. The crossover parts I am talking about are going to be on the back of the drivers, they are not shown in the pic above.

I try not to interject personal opinion as fact, so take this with a grain of salt: All of our ears are different, but to me this is the most musical speaker system I have heard in a while. So much so, that I intend to buy some when we start shipping them so I can build home theater speakers out of them! I want to be careful not to turn this into an advertorial, I know it is frowned upon here and elsewhere, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Phil
    Kicker"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Razzman; 11-30-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV