Thread: Steep Ramps

Default Steep Ramps

Today I de-winterized the boat and decided to take it on a test run to a local lake here in MA before hauling it up to NH where we normally use it. The ramp was so steep that I when I launched it, the bow eye ripped through the carpeted V shaped pad at the front and even took out some plywood. When trying to get the boat back on the trailer, because of the steepness, there was no way to get the boat up to the bow stop as the bow was essentially below it. I tried to pull the boat out some and just hoist it on but the winch started slipping and I was afraid I was going to break something. After trying for a long time, We ended up leaving it way behind the bow stop and just putting extra transom straps on. It was very unstable towing that way because the balance was so off. We ended up refloating it at another lake just to get it positioned properly but now the winch slips. Anybody know of any ramp tricks? Any advice on the winch? Don't go to Lake Cochituate on the Mass Pike side. The ramp sucks and you can't waterski on that side either. Other than that, it was a fine day of boating. Some Australian guy followed us all the way to the other lake to find out what a Moomba was and try to bum a ride.

Andy

Default Replying to Topic 'Steep Ramps'

I sometimes have a boat driver apply significant forward propulsion while I crank the winch. (Use an experienced driver, who less likely to launch the whole unit into the bed of your tow vehicle.)

If alone, I leave it in gear and walk to the bow, and crank the winch while leaning out of the boat. Not pretty, not safest, but it works.

Depending on the steepness, we may submerge the trailer extra-deep. (But I try never to back the tires past the end of the ramp, for other reasons.)

Hope that helps.

Default Quieter boat

We tried that as well but the boat just slid sideways.

Andy

Hmm, maybe that answers my question of why my boat always seems to slide back an inch or so when I pull the trailer out of the water--winch slippage.

I agree. I wish I had known this rule of thumb a couple of days ago. That is essentially what nearly happened. It tore up the carpeted plywood cradle pretty good.

Today I took apart my winch and the strap actually tore in half where it was fed through the side of the pulley so the pulley would spin but the strap would just slip. Pretty mickey mouse setup if you ask me.

Andy

NH Moomba, I have had the exact same problem at a ramp on Lake Tahoe once and know what you mean. It's quite a little quandry while you're trying to figure out how to get your boat out without damaging it. The way I finally got it out was to really sink the trailer so that the bow stop was barely above the water but below the rub rail at the front of the boat. You are practically submerging every part of your trailer and the ass end of your truck to do it. Then you have to come out of the water very slowly and make sure your boat seats properly. Didn't do any damage to anything but I will not use a very steep ramp again. Apparently, the one I used is like that so that they can launch sail boats with the deep keels.

The rule I figured was, the steeper the ramp, the deeper you need to be in the water to get out properly.

I'm glad you posted that b/c I have often wondered if it was just me or just that weird ramp.

Default Quieter boat

I definately won't be going back to that ramp. I was afraid to back the truck too much more as wheels where already on some slimy ground. I still think I should have been able to winch the boat up more if the strap hadn't sheared. Does that bunk lube stuff they sell work?

Andy