Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment....1&d=1262036845

this is the BEP vsr and selector switch, as you can see the lower red cable goes to the starting 1 battery and the top red cable goes to stereo 2 battery. Each are connected to the VSR. The right red cable goes to the engine. There is a small sensing wire that goes to a negative pole for dual sensing of the voltage sensitive relay . All house stereo connections are made directly to the 2 battery.
    This is very similar to the blue sea. With this BEP set up you can if you want to adjust which battery starts your engine 1,2, or both, which battery you want to have the priority charge 1,2, or both.
    But as with the blue sea I just set it to 1 motor battery and let it do all the work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Ed, look at the BEP with the switch, very simple to set up, thats why i chose it over the blue seas,
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I must say, after looking at docdrs' pic and description, the bep system looks like a much easier install. It looks like the vsr accesses the batteries thru a direct connection with the switch whereas on the blue sea, separate cable runs to each battery is required. Had I known that, I probably would have gone with the bep. I guess I really didn't research the bep much since I ran across such a great deal on the blue sea stuff. The only thing I can think of that u can't do with the bep is turn power off to everything since the house and stereo loads are connected directly to battery 2. You can
    do this on the blue sea since connections are made to the switch, not directly to the batts. This is a nice feature in case u have a short somewhere that causes a slow drain on ur battery. With an off switch, u can disconnect all loads to both batteries when not in use to prevent a slow drain running ur battery dead. Dont know how important this feature really is though.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I think both the BEP and The Blue Sea vsr's are good ,either will automatically charge a dual battery system if your alternator capacity is large enough. You won't go wrong with either . Some of the Audio Systems you guys are running may even require a 3rd battery or additional accessory chargers. Hear is an example

1 charger per battery Travis. Keep the battery switch off while charging though.
    I used Stinger 6A/hour charger's on my batteries, but that charger is designed for the Stinger dry-cell batteries only. All chargers are hard-wired to the batteries. The 110V side cords go under the panels and plug into a 3-way 12G receptacle that's screwed down in the ballast locker. I have a 50' 12G cord that's rolled up and hangs on a hook. When I get back to our camper, my shop, or the dock, all I have to do is throw the cord out and plug it in. The batteries and charger have all been relocated to under the rear bench seat behind the cooler/melter. My alternator can't even think about charging any of these batteries considering the size and voltage draw of the stereo, so I plug these in after every use of the boat. The SP800 runs the boat and accessories, the 2 SP1500's power the stereo only.

[/quote]
    Last edited by Ed G; 12-29-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    given that I have no way to charge a battery while the boat is not in use and refusing to take out the batteries to charge them, I opt out to learn to properly use what I aready have...the lowly Perko.

"all" for running around, #2 for floating around listening to tunes without the engine running and #1 to start the boat.

I've interviewed several mates to handle the switch ditues and have found a chimp named "david dukey" who seems to have an uncanny knack for fondling rotary dials.

He loves my wife.
    Just be careful to not "break" connection between 1 and 2 prior to making connection with either. Similarly, do not accidentally switch to or past OFF with the motor running. You do not want to blow your voltage regulator.

Phil
    Kicker

yes, thank you. I have been edumacated on all of this by stereo dudes and my dealer.

I had a detailed discussion yesterday with one of the pro stereo guys on this board and we came to the conclusion that since I do not have the ability to put a charger on the boat while it is being stored between runs, I might as well stick to what I, excuse the pun, "currently" have.

Therefore david dukey will handle my battery responsibilities.

If I do blow something up, it's gonna be cause I went from a stereo and battery bank that worked perfectly fine to one with Kicker speakers on the tower.

I will blame you Phil and no one but you.
    Hah hah hah.....

Awesome!

Happy New Year!

I really don't see why ya can't add the vsr (Bep or Blue Sea) your system Ed. You don't even need a switch with one of these, the switch just gives you options. you just run wire from your 1 battery hook up to the vsr , and a wire from your 2 battery hook up to the other vsr connection, its just an automatic charging relay when you have 2 batteries. So when David D gets upset you can always tell him he can be replaced for about $60
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I like how you can always give us a laugh.......the draw from the vsr is insignificant 15 ma ,
    quite unlike that of the lady standing on the corner in the red pumps
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

well...what I sorta understand is...when the boat sits with no batter charger active, the vsr itself can suck the life out of the batteries.
    Hence the reason i use the Blue Sea switch. I don't like leaving batteries connected when the boat sits for any period of time, even overnight. In case anyones wondering why, a boat fire is not a pretty site.

Just out of curiosity Ed how long is between runs? Where do you keep it during those periods?
    Last edited by Razzman; 12-30-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

My RCA cables came in so I was able to finish the install and test out the stereo. With the towers and the sub off, I set the gains on the JL Audio M6600 6 channel amp running the 6 Polk Audio db651 cabin speakers with the crossover frequency set at about 120 Hz on the advice of David at Earmark Marine. WOW, do they sound fantastic! The amp is rated 55Wx6 @ 4 ohms @12.5V. It's extremely loud but very clean and crisp. At 14.4V (i.e., engine running), the amp delivers 75W per channel so it's more volume than I will ever need.

Next I added the Kicker ZX700.5 but just the sub channel. At 210Wx1 @ 4 ohms, I must say, I am a little disappointed at the output. My previous sub amp put out 400Wx1 @ 4 ohms so I guess I am used to a little more thump from the sub. I may have to get a 2 ohm sub in order to get the 420Wx1 out of the amp. I am sure I would have plenty of thump then. I currently have the gain set almost all the way up (my head unit's pre-amp output is 4V and the range on the low level input tops out at 5V so I think it's about right), bass boost at +12db and the remote knob all the way up and it sounds decent but it's pretty much maxed out. One question I have is that I have the ability to control the sub level from the head unit also and it's currently at 0. When I increase this, I get noticeably increased output from the sub even when the remote bass control knob is already turned all the way up. So what is the head unit doing when I turn up the subwoofer level that causes output from the sub to increase when it seems that everything is already cranked up on the amp?

I've not had a chance to set the gains on the Kicker KMT6's on the tower yet as I will need to get the boat out of the garage to do that with any degree of accuracy. Currently, I have it wired to just two channels from the 700.5 (@ 3 ohms, it should get about 80W per pod) so we'll see if that's going to be enough.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV