Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Al, i thought the perko was similar to my bep switch, 1,2 combined and off

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...elector+Switch

which is combined with the vsr in a small compact package for auto isolation.

Ed, looks like you have to get either system. blue seas or bep.

Al, you always find the deals, i searched ebay fro weeks before i pulled the trigger online.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post

Joe's link has the ACR for $80 (plus shipping I assume). I paid $40 for my ACR including shipping and $28 for the switch including shipping, both from Ebay. Both items were brand new in the unopened package. Both were one off auctions that I was lucky enough to find when I was shopping for these items.

How's that?
    THats pretty darn gooooooooooooooooooooood best i could find was around 73 incl shipping but just the ACR...........your the best Al....
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Ed your right about the instructions and my advice to anyone that goes with the Blue Sea setup is forget the text and look at the pics in the instructions, seriously. If you look at them a minute it all becomes clear as a bell.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ed, look at my set up. The switch just determines from which battery juice(current for those technically minded) flows to the motor starter and back from the alternator battery 1,2, 1+2.... thus when the motor is running juice flows back to the battery (or both if 1+2) charging it. simply put i believe. You hook your stereo up to the 2 battery directly thus it will never drain your 1 battery. The VSR monitors line voltage so it will always charge your 1 battery first.When the voltage reaches a determined value the VSR will close and the 2 battery will begin to be charged. this is with the switch at the 1 position. If you have it at the 2 position then the 2 battery will be charged first then the 1 battery. If at the 1+2 then the VSR is overridden and both charged at same time but both are connected in parallel and your stereo will drain both(not Good)

so leave at 1 and when ya get back from the lake hook up a chrger/maintainer to your 2 battery and both will be charged in reverse....thats what the dual sense is for. The VSR should keep both batteries charged, but if your stereo is not a green power consumer you may still have to charge you 2 battery.

my .02 just to confuse the issue more
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 12-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Ed, look at my set up. The switch just determines from which battery juice(current for those technically minded) flows to the motor starter and back from the alternator battery 1,2, 1+2.... thus when the motor is running juice flows back to the battery (or both if 1+2) charging it. simply put i believe. You hook your stereo up to the 2 battery directly thus it will never drain your 1 battery. The VSR monitors line voltage so it will always charge your 1 battery first.When the voltage reaches a fully charged state the VSR will close and the 2 battery will begin to be charged. this is with the switch at the 1 position. If you have it at the 2 position then the 2 battery will be charged first then the 1 battery. If at the 1+2 then the VSR is overridden and both charged at same time but both are connected in parallel and your stereo will drain both(not Good)

so leave at 1 and when ya get back from the lake hook up a chrger/maintainer to your 2 battery and both will be charged in reverse....thats what the dual sense is for.

my .02 just to confuse the issue more
    I got the switch system and what i learned first hand about it is this. Mine is the selectable style like Ed has i believe and what your describing but slightly different in the findings for me.

Switch on 1 charges Only Battery 1 no matter if its charged or not. Only looks at battery 1

Switch on 2 charges Only Battery 2 no matter if its charged or not. Only looks at battery 2

Switch on Battery 1+2 < both > charges both batteries as a unit, both batteries drain as a unit at all times and stays as a 12V source.

I did this to both batteries last summer as an experiment.

Switch on 1. Wakeboarding and surfed all day. Stereo went dead Battery 2 was at 10V battery 1 was at 13. So all day i ran the boat and battery 1 stayed charged and the second battery went completely dead.

Switch on 2 Ran the boat all day with the stereo on all day. Stereo was perfect, at the end of the day my Battery one never died on me but it was at 11.3 volts and i had to charge it at home.

Switch on both all day boat starts stereo plays everything charged at the end of the day. You lose the security of a back up starting battery because it drains them both all the time.

So the biggest and only real difference i see in the two options is the one Al has, Razz has and many other is the fact they never have to switch it at all. The ACR system is a set it and leave it system. Drains the stereo battery when not running the engine and always allows the boat to restart. Its a much better system then what I or You have Ed. I will be upgrading this as AL has.
    Last edited by mmandley; 12-28-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    So the biggest and only real difference i see in the two options is the one Al has, Razz has and many other is the fact they never have to switch it at all. The ACR system is a set it and leave it system. Drains the stereo battery when not running the engine and always allows the boat to restart. Its a much better system then what I or You have Ed. I will be upgrading this as AL has.
    Mike, well put and the very reason i dumped the Perko and the only reason for it imo. No mess, no fuss and always have ready batts. Any other explanation is way to much and overblown, again imo. Been running this setup for two seasons without one issue. On & off, can't get any easier.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    here's what is confusing to me....you guys do this?

Seems like you need to in order to not damage the ACR when starting the boat.

Ed, nope don't use it and don't need to if you don't want to, it's an optional connection.
    2007 Mobius LSV

here's what is confusing to me....you guys do this?

Seems like you need to in order to not damage the ACR when starting the boat.

Ed,

Yes, I ran this wire. It's easy - just run small gauge wire with an inline 10A fuse from the ACR, thru/around the ski locker and connect it to the appropriate ignition switch wire.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Al, i thought the perko was similar to my bep switch, 1,2 combined and off

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...elector+Switch

which is combined with the vsr in a small compact package for auto isolation.

Ed, looks like you have to get either system. blue seas or bep.

Al, you always find the deals, i searched ebay fro weeks before i pulled the trigger online.
    Joe,

I'm not familiar with the operation os the BEP switch/VSR and the Perko may very well work with it but I know it won't work with the Blue Sea ACR.

On scoring the deal, I just got lucky - right deal at the right time.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks Al.

I took another look at your photos (and they get nicer each time I look at them) and it appears you also wired in the remote LED?

Where's that located?
    Thx for the compliment Ed.

No, I did not wire the remote LED. The other wire u r seeing is the ground wire. I know I should have used black but didn't have any.

BTW, if u are interested in the circuit breakers, I got them at Sonicelectronix.com but u can also find them on eBay.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV