Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    nice Al!

So guys, tell me more about this blue sea batt switch

what's all needed and what does it all cost...if I decide to give the perko a shove.

Am I seeing circuit breakers on each cable?
    Ed,

When you say Blue Sea batt switch, I assume you are referring to the Add-A-Battery package which is comprised of the switch and the automatic charging relay (ACR). With this system in place, your batteries are isolated when the engine is off and combined when the engine is running. This way, when you are just sitting and listening to your stereo, it is only running of your 2nd battery so you won't accidentally run down your starting battery and leave you stranded. Then once the engine is running, the ACR will combine the batteries so that they are both receiving the charging current from the alternator. You set the switch to ON and forget it as this will all happen automatically. There is also a combine position on the switch in case your starting battery has a bad cell or somehow gets discharged. Putting the switch on "combine" connects both batteries so that you can start and run the boat off the 2nd battery.

With just a battery switch (Pergo or Blue Sea) you have to manage this process manually or run the risk of running your batteries dead leaving you stranded (which will happen eventually).

The add-a-battery system costs about $120 shipped. You'll also need (2) 100A fuses (or circuit breakers) and some 4 gauge power cable and ring terminals.

Yes, those are resettable circuit breakers on the power cables - I opted to go with them instead of fuses so I don't ever have to worry about having spare fuses on board (thanks to Razz for this tip).

Below is a very good FAQ on the Blue Sea ACR.

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/1366

And below is a product sheet on the Add-A-Battery system. I think you will find both documents very helpful.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/s...,000%20KB).pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    Thanks Al!

After reading about this for months now, I wish I had insisted this switch be put in when I had the install done, instead of cheaping out with the perko.

Oh well, we often learn expensive lessons don't we.

I haven't read thru the info yet, but I do have one question...

why a circuit breaker before AND after the switch (input/output)?
    Ed,

The instructions called for a 100A fuse for each cable so that's what I did. I'm not an electrical engineer but I believe the circuit breakers protect the ACR from current spikes coming from either battery. Each cable coming from the ACR goes to the pos terminal of each battery. By closing or opening this circuit, the ACR combines or isolates the battery.

As far as your situation, all you are really out is the cost of the Perko switch. Since you already have a second battery and battery cables to and from the Perko switch, your install will be a lot easier and less expensive than mine. I bought the switch and the ACR separately on Ebay and got great deals on both so I paid a lot less than $120.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Ed,

Actually, you're not out a dime. There are more comprehensive schemes when adding a VSR or ACR which will put a dual-battery Perko switch to very good use.

Your single Perko can be wired in conjunction with a solenoid to provide multiple modes:
    1.) 'Normal', the voltage sensing solenoid does its intended job automatically.
    2.) 'Emergency bypass', circumvents the solenoid in case of failure.
    3.) 'Fixed isolation', maintains isolated banks when using a dual-bank AC shore charger.

The same VSR/ACR benefits that serve to a.) protect your alternator from an inordinate load, b.) keep your starting battery in reserve, and c.) control excessive voltage dumping from starting battery to stereo battery while underway... Will, under certain conditions, keep your stereo battery from getting fully charged by your alternator. So, when using a VSR/ACR, a quality dual-bank multi-stage charger (not a 'tender') is highly recommended.

Supplementing the VSR/ACR with a multi-function switch facilitates all of the above considerations in a way that a single on/off pre-packaged switch cannot.

The fuses or breakers are applicable when the batteries are located far apart but have less importance when all components are in close proximity. You still need your helm buss and stereo amplifier breakers in any case.

Shoot me an email and I'll walk you through a couple of scenarios.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    The same VSR/ACR benefits that serve to a.) protect your alternator from an inordinate load, b.) keep your starting battery in reserve, and c.) control excessive voltage dumping from starting battery to stereo battery while underway... Will, under certain conditions, keep your stereo battery from getting fully charged by your alternator. So, when using a VSR/ACR, a quality dual-bank multi-stage charger (not a 'tender') is highly recommended.
    David,

Thanks for your comments. I understand that if I sit on the water and listen to the stereo cranked for a couple hours then start the boat up and immediately head to the boat ramp 2 minutes away, that the stereo battery will not get fully charged. In these cases, I plan to charge the stereo battery once I get home with a Schumacher Speedcharge set at the maximum 6A charge setting. This is an all purpose charger that I already have, that I have used for my boat, car, and motorcycle in the past. Will this be sufficient for the purpose of recharging the Group 27 stereo battery, or do I need to buy one with a higher amp charge rate and if so, what amp charge rate would be ideal? Is the Schumacher line of chargers good enough quality or do you recommend going with a different brand?

Here's a link to the exact charger that I have:

http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-600a.html

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

what you do want to get is a digital voltmeter so you can read your battery voltage to help determining its discharge status and condition. Watch your electrolyte levels and I would suggest a smart charger maintainer to keep the batteries fully charged. 2 amps may be ok as it will be split between 2 batteries, your maintenance voltage charge should be between 13.2 and 13.5 volts. Another thing you can do is add a desulfator.....there is a wealth of info on this topic.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Ed, you can buy the blue sea ACR or the BEP marine VSR and add it to the perko to utilize the switch with the auto charging

BEP marine VSR
    http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3139870

Blue sea ACR
    http://www.boatersland.com/blu7610.html
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JMV, you rival Al in finding the best prices for things.........Al are you going to let him low ball you?

heres another Bep...kinda partial as that what i have
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Relay+Module
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 12-27-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

very nice install.. good work....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Ed, you can buy the blue sea ACR or the BEP marine VSR and add it to the perko to utilize the switch with the auto charging
    Actually, this won't work. The Perko switch I believe has an "Off", "1", "2", and "Both" position. So all your loads are wired to the switch and depending on where you have the switch set, everything is either running off battery 1, battery 2, or both batteries. The Blue Sea switch that works with the ACR has an "Off", "On", and "Combine" position. It is a dual circuit switch in that it allows each battery to be both on but isolated (when in the ON position). It has 4 posts on the back of the switch vs 3 on the Perko. So the pos lead from the stereo battery runs thru one side of the switch and the pos lead from the starting battery runs thru the other side. So you have two separate batteries, one wired to the amps and the other to the starter and the distribution block under the dash (for the blower, the ballast pumps, etc). This is why you won't run down the starting battery when you sit and listen to the stereo - the amps will always run off the 2nd battery. With the Perko, you have to remember to switch to battery 2 when you sit and listen to your stereo so you don't drain battery 1.

The ACR is just an automatic relay that opens and closes depending on the absence or presence of charging voltage. When it senses charging current being delivered to the starting battery (when the engine is running) it closes the circuit so that the charging current is delivered to both batteries. When the charging voltage stops (when you shut off the engine) the circuit opens and the batteries are isolated again.

I verified this with a tech at Blue Sea because I already had a Blue Sea switch that was similar to the Perko but was told that it wouldn't allow automatic operation for the reasons above.

Hope that made sense. If not, please see the link to the Add-A-Battery FAQ I posted earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    JMV, you rival Al in finding the best prices for things.........Al are you going to let him low ball you?
    Joe's link has the ACR for $80 (plus shipping I assume). I paid $40 for my ACR including shipping and $28 for the switch including shipping, both from Ebay. Both items were brand new in the unopened package. Both were one off auctions that I was lucky enough to find when I was shopping for these items.

How's that?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Below are the links to installation instructions of the Perko equivalent Blue Sea 4 position switch and the Blue Sea dual circuit switch. It includes a wiring diagram for each switch as well as an explanation of how they operate that I am sure is easier to understand than what I wrote above

4 position switch: http://bluesea.com/files/resources/i...eb_version.pdf

Dual Circuit Plus Switch: http://bluesea.com/files/resources/i...eb_version.pdf
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV