Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Amp Upgrade and Blue Sea Add-A-Battery Install

So I started my amp upgrade project this week. I am replacing an old school Sony 4 channel amp currently running 8 speakers and a Boss 2 channel amp running the sub with a JL Audio 6 channel and a Kicker 5 channel. I took out the battery and the subwoofer amp, built an amp board, then mounted the amps to it. Pics below.

This was my first time making an amp board/working with carpet so I am pretty happy with how this turned out. I used 1/2" King Starboard that I had left over from my walk thru transom project. I got the exact carpet that's in my boat from the local Skier's Choice dealer. I used some industrial strength double stick tape because my electric stapler could not make a dent in the King Starboard.

Amps installed - JL Audio M6600 6 channel amp on top which will power the 6 cabin speakers, Kicker ZX700.5 5 channel amp on the bottom which will power the four tower speakers and the sub. After I took this pic, I flipped both amps 180 degrees so that they are both upside down. This is to make the adjustment knobs and buttons accessible.
    Last edited by cab13367; 11-26-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Here are pics of the amp board in place. I have not secured it yet. I will put a couple of screws into the rubrail backing strip on top and probably use a couple of L brackets on the bottom. Or I may screw into the reinforced "ledge" on the bottom.

You can see in these pics why I had to mount them upside down. I would not be able to get to the adjustment knobs and buttons otherwise. I chose this location as it is unused space so it will not eat into my usable storage space. Will post more pics as I get further along.

Last edited by cab13367; 11-26-2009 at 04:15 AM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Very nice AL, very clean man. Now im going to have to visit you again to get a better look at your work lol. I will wait till its all done though. LOL.

Looks real nice man.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Looks good Al! Nice and clean setup, can't wait to see the finished product.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thx guys. I am also adding a 2nd batt, a batt switch and ACR, replacing all the speaker wires, and trying a different set of tower speakers (thanks mmandley!). Plus do something with the footbox. So much to do, I don't know what to do next. Good thing I have lots of time, and I enjoy doing this knd of stuff. Very therapeutic
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

great looking amps, wish i could hear the system when its done. have to do a youtube test video.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I am finally about done with my amp upgrade and Blue Sea add-a-battery install. I am still waiting on some shorter RCA cables and y-splitter that are on order but other than that, everything is pretty much done. Just need to set the gains aned crossover points and do some tuning once the RCA cables are on.

Below are some pics of the (almost) finished product. I moved the starting battery to starboard as far as it would go and that left just enough room for the Group 27 house battery. I wanted both batteries as far forward as possible in order to minimize loss of storage space and it worked out just fine. There was just enough room between the Kicker amp and the starting battery for the house battery to fit.

Note that I ran three of the cables to the battery switch thru a hole behind the switch for a clean look and direct cable routing.

All in all, this was a very fun project but more time consuming than I anticipated (isn't that always the case?) although from the finished product, it doesn't look like a lot of work. But I replaced both amps, added a second battery, added a battery switch and automactic charging relay along with four thermal circuit breakers and replaced all the factory speaker wiring so there was quite a bit to do. At this point, there is nothing left of the original stereo in the boat. I will report back once I get the RCA cables in and have had a chance to hear the system.

Last edited by cab13367; 12-26-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Nicely done Al! Very clean install, you'll like having the batts out of the way laving the compartment open in the front.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Nice job, its very clean.

Very nice work Al.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart