Default Repaint/surface speaker cans

I have some liquid audio speakers like the attached. Someone found a good reason to put some duct tape on them and when it came off it ripped off some of the paint. I'm wondering if there's a good way to repaint or resurface them? I'm not really concerned with retaining any lettering/decals as long as it looks reasonable enough.

Is this something that I can just sand/clean and spray paint? Any special considerations or paints? (ie, any normal outdoor spray paint or should I pick up something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Tempo-Mercury-.../dp/B0000BYM8G ).

Any other good ideas? The speakers themselves are fine so I might also consider just getting new cans if that was an option and anybody knew where/how to get them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

personally, I'd look into powdercoating them. might cost a few $, but will last a long time, and you can get custom colors done...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Moomba - I'm not familar with how those cans are constructed ( I'm on a PDA or I look it up for you).

If they are aluminum you could have them bead blasted for pretty cheap and then have them anodized. This process is better then Powder coating because the seal is done thru and electronic process.

If the cans are steel or some other substraight you could blast them and the. Powde coat them. Better than painting for sure.

In both cases ask the anodize / powdercoat house to take care and use a hang tab that's out of sight so you don't see any contact points

either route you go, I'd suspect you could get a nice custom color and pro finish.

Cheers

-Brian
    Exile Audio

The problem i have with anodizing is that in a region of intense sun and heat, it's only good for a year or so at best then it fades to a nasty hue of it's former self and you end up regreting the decision. I powdercoated my last tower red and after three years and nothing but waxing once in awhile it still looked new. My 2 cents worth
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the options guys, I'd never heard of most of those. Guess I have a little research to do.

def. call a bunch of shops too. for a small job like this, you'll find a VERY wide range of prices..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

pmoomba,

Assuming that your pods are aluminum, domestic powdercoating is extremely durable, adheres very well to aluminum and is available in a variety of colors. Price wise, you usually have a to pay a minimum. However, with a regularly used color like gloss black, if you put your order on hold until the powdercoater has a sizeable order of the same, you should be able to save alot on a piece rate basis and avoid a minimum fee.

Anodized is defintely durable. Clear is satin in finish so its dull on polished but looks outstanding on patterned or brushed surfaces. But with anodized colors the dye quickly fades with exposure to UV.

Paint doesn't adhere well to aluminum and requires alot of prep and an etching or epoxy primer. Since that paint you mentioned is designed for outdrives perhaps its unique in that sense and durable. I'd check into it a little more before giving it a shot.

David
    Earmark Marine