Default Memphis Audio Amps

Do any of you guys know much about Memphis Audio?

In my new-to-me LSV, I have the smaller of the stock Kicker amps that runs the cabin speakers, and this Memphis Audio amp that runs the tower speakers. I didn't get much chance to mess with the setup before I put the boat away for the winter, but it seemed like I wasn't getting much of anything out of the tower speakers. The cabin speakers sounded pretty good, though I think the amp only runs to the main cabin speakers, and the bow speakers are un-amplified.

I have dual tube Skylon tower speakers. The sound quality was sorely lacking. I didn't know if it was the speakers, the amp, or both. I am hoping to replace all of these speakers with the Polk db651's at some point, but being 10 total speakers, that's a decent chunk of change.

If any of you have info on Memphis audio, I'd appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what model I've got either, but I was just putting out the feelers.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

memphis is ok. on the cheaper side of things. upgrade to a higher output kicker and I bet you will be happy. skylon makes a good speaker. I'd try the amp first, then if you are not happy, do the speakers(polks) and they will really enjoy a better quality higher wattage amp
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Squeeg - see if you can find some model numbers. That brand has several levels of performance. The key to any audio set up is finding right amount of speaker / subwoofer and get it properly connected to an equal or parity matched level of amplifier(s).

If you bust out those models we can steer you straight with several options.

Cheers!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

This is a super old post, but I thought I'd update it a little and see what info I could find. I pulled this Memphis audio amp out of my boat this past weekend, and replaced it with a Kicker 700.5 and the existing Kicker 200.4 to run everything.

The memphis audio amp mpodel number is 16-MCA2004. From what I found, it's a 50x4 at 4 ohm, and 75x4 at 2 ohm. 150x2 bridged. Sounds like a decent amp.

My original question on this amp was it's usefulness in powering my tower speakers. I swaped it out with the kicker 200.4 to run my tower speakers, and not much changed. I am thinking that the tower speakers are just kinda junk. From what I can tell, they are Skylon cans, but I'm not sure what speaker is in the cans (4 speakers total). I haven't pulled them out since last year, so I'll need to research those. They just don't sound all that good, more high range sound than anything.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

looks like a decent amp, a good all-around performer however not their top end. I would think it should not have an issue powering 2 tower speakers, so I would guess that if you are not happy with the overall sound, then you are down to one of 2 issues:
    -something along the way is not set correctly, such as a hp/lp filter setting on either the deck or the amp not allowing a full range signal to the speakers affecting their sound range or
    -speakers are not of the quality you are looking for..

if you have the time and inclination, you might try hooking up the towers to 2 of the channels of the 700.5 and see if the overall sound changes, but I would guess that it's the speakers.
    bud of mine has a pair of skylon cans on his tige that he bought off ebay. they were priced somewhat cheap and he only bought them for the cans and plans on replacing the speakers this year. they are 2 years old, have maybe 40 hrs on them, stored indoors and sound like absolute crap. no low end or midrange at all, almost all muddy vocals and high end.

good luck. I would think either amp should push a set of towers to a decent level
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

what size speakers in the towers.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I believe they are the same size as the cabins. There's four of them actually, but like you said Sandm, they have no low or mid range, just really muddy vocals. They turn up fairly high, but there's just no sound spectrum at all.

The cans are decent. Not the best by any means, but they still look good when clean. I'm figuring I'll just replace the speakers since the cans are in good shape.

I was thinking about just getting 4 more Polk's to put in these cans, and just be done with it. Then all 10 speakers would be the same. I don't need anything super fancy, but I'd like something that does what it should!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    memphis is ok. on the cheaper side of things. upgrade to a higher output kicker and I bet you will be happy. skylon makes a good speaker. I'd try the amp first, then if you are not happy, do the speakers(polks) and they will really enjoy a better quality higher wattage amp
    Im not too sure about this. I would rank them above JL audio, Kicker, Rockford, Pioneer, Sony, but again this is just personal experience. I am no way an expert, but I LOVE Mephis Audio equipment, very well made and their high end stuff is amazing. As with anything, you get what you pay for!!!

Just a side note.... I did just order a new Kicker amp so I am in no way dogging those brands