Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting question....

I was reading the thread about installing pop-up cleats and a question popped into my head. Actually, a scenario followed by a couple of questions.

What happens if you are out on the lake/river/bay and your boat breaks down. There are no other boats around and you need to throw out an anchor. Where are you supposed to tie your anchor off to if there are no cleats on the boat?

Also, how many of you actually carry anchors on your boat?

I am a saltwater fisherman at heart, and when you are 30 miles out in the open water, all safety equipment needs to be in top order. Where I ride, especially this time of year, there are not that many boats around to give me a tow back to the dock (I typically ride on a river with no houses on the bank) if the boat decideds to crap out. What do you think?

I carry an anchor with 50 yards of rope.
    I would tie it off to the tower legs or the rear eye if it was a worst-case scenario. also carry a marineband radio. sheriff's have 2 channels that they monitor.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Well first off all inboards have cleats now and have for years. I personally don't know anyone that doesn't carry an anchor either.

I carry an Anchor Buddy & 16lb. river anchor for shallow anchorage. I also carry 100' of anchor rope with a Danforth style anchor for deeper waters. Both have stainless carabiners I attached to the ends to attach to the bow strap eye loop. That is the only place i attach to unless I'm attaching both then one will attach to a rear lifting loop.

Also by USCG law i have a paddle so in worst case were paddling, never had to do it though. Especially since if we were to break down any lake in my region has plenty of boats around to tow us in if needed.
    Last edited by Razzman; 11-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

sure about the uscg law on the paddle?
    we have been inspected the last 2 years, I don't carry one, and both boat ramp sheriffs told me that is not required.

Absolutely sure, in Cali it's on their list and they enforce it.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I would agree with Razz on the paddle requirement. i would never be out with out one anyway.

i keep anchors in the bow of hte boat so that i always have them. i keep my spare prop, anchors, case of water bottles in the bow. i think each anchor has about 150' rope (50 yards for sandm)

must be a cali thing. the pontoon we rented in florida did not have one, and it's not on the list in idaho, nor can I find it in the uscg website. did find this as the only "nationwide" listing. seems that some states vary and change the rules a little..

The owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain and use the safety equipment required by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).
    All vessels are required to have onboard a wearable USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) for each person. The PFDs must be of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, be in serviceable condition, and within easy access. The State of Florida urges all people onboard a boat to wear a life jacket.
    Vessels 16 feet in length or longer must also have at least one USCG-approved throwable Type IV PFD that is immediately available in case of a fall overboard.
    A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is under way. "Under way" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.
    Vessels with built-in fuel tanks or enclosed compartments where gasoline fumes can accumulate are required to carry at least one fire extinguisher (depending upon vessel length) which is approved for marine use.
    All vessels are required to carry an efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle.
    Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
    The use of sirens or flashing, occulting or revolving lights is prohibited except where expressly allowed by law.
    Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc.). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the following link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length: http://boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-9_navlights.htm.

No cleats and never needed them. 100 foot of rope, chain and a Danforth. Everyone's situation is different but I wait until I get to shallow water and walk the boat to a beach or float down the river until I reach civilization and use a cell phone. Some reservoirs are very remote and very deep so an anchor won't reach 400 feet down and no cell phone service so you hope for someone to come by. That is why you let people know where you are going and when you will be back. The places I go a satillite phone would be nice but it will still take a day for someone to come. Have a lighter and save your food and beer for the night and build a fire on the beach.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

we are required to have 2 paddles in canada. so we can get there twice as fast i guess. Oh and if on a seadoo you only have to wear a pfd if you dont have paddles. if you have paddles you don't have to wear a pfd, but you need one on board.......ever tried to paddle a seadoo? not bloody likely unless there is no wind at all ....i've tried..... took the partiers 30 mins to realize the tube was no longer attached to the seadoo and come rescue us....
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I don't carry a paddle because it only gets me dizzy. Besides, I had bad memories as a kid when our ski boat would conk out (it happened often - thanks to Chrysler) and the ensuing fight for the paddle and the little effect it had in going some place.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD