Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Brian,

I tried that route already. I bought 100' of OFC 16 gauge Hitron brand wire from sonicelectronix for $9 (see link below) and when I got it, I was disappointed in the size of the copper compared to some other 16 gauge wire that I already had. I just happen to have a micrometer so I decided to mic it. It mic'ed out at about 0.045" diameter whereas true 16 gauge is supposed to be 0.051". Not a big deal but I am surprised at how much disparity there is in wire thickness within the same gauge wire by different manufacturers. The copper in the $30 monster cable looks twice as thick by comparison.

I also ordered some of the 12 gauge Hitron wire and it was even worse - mic'ed out at about 0.061" instead of 0.081 like it's supposed to be. I am going to return both wires.

I'll try and take pics of both 16 gauge wires side by side and post it tonght. It's pretty dramatic.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...aker+Wire.html
    Yeah, unfortunately there is plenty of cheap junk out there too. I buy a lot from monoprice.com and have never had an issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately there is plenty of cheap junk out there too. I buy a lot from monoprice.com and have never had an issue there.
    I just checked out monoprice and they seem to have good quality (judging from the reviews) at cheap prices. I'm going to order their speaker wire and RCA cables. Thanks for the tip!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I get all my home theater stuff from them. Great deals on adapters, HDMI cables, etc.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

ordering all my boat wiring from knukoncepts. seem to have some good prices, and are one of the few ebay retailers that have a fuseblock with 0gauge input and more than 1 4gauge output.. 8 seems to be the common power wire size.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

sandm you won't regret ordering from them. I've ordered from them at least four times and it's quality stuff.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    brain,

I received my order from monoprice today and I am very please with their products and even more so with their prices. I bought 2 spools of 100' 16 gauge OFC speaker wire and they are true to gauge (actually, bigger than gauge - mic'd at 0.061" compared to 0.051" for true 16 AWG) and it only cost $11.22. I also bought a 12' long 3.5mm aux cable for $0.85! It is good quality and Radio Shack sells the same thing for $10. I also bought (3) high quality 6' RCA audio cables for the amp for $2.20 each. Also bought 100, 4" zip ties, the ones with a hole for a screw for 54 cents for 100! I am a customer for life!

Thanks again for the tip.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

brain,

I received my order from monoprice today and I am very please with their products and even more so with their prices. I bought 2 spools of 100' 16 gauge OFC speaker wire and they are true to gauge (actually, bigger than gauge - mic'd at 0.061" compared to 0.051" for true 16 AWG) and it only cost $11.22. I also bought a 12' long 3.5mm aux cable for $0.85! It is good quality and Radio Shack sells the same thing for $10. I also bought (3) high quality 6' RCA audio cables for the amp for $2.20 each. Also bought 100, 4" zip ties, the ones with a hole for a screw for 54 cents for 100! I am a customer for life!

Al
    Good to hear! That place can save a ton of money on home theater too... HDMI cables get expensive real fast at consumer electronics stores, especially on longer lengths. I'll have to pick up some of those zip ties with my next order - good call!

brain,

Al
    Sweet deal Al. Im going to look at there site now. I am going to redo a lot of the stereo again so im looking for things to upgrade with. I want to move my amps over to the side of the compartment, then move the batteries completely forward, add a different duel battery set up so i don't have to use the switch all the time. I need to find lots of little goodies like you did. Also need to find some new battery cables also im sure.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default dont buy junk!

Guys - I can relate to everyone wanting to save a buck when they can but let me give you all some very simple advice:

DONT BUY JUNK WIRE!

Why you ask? Let me tell you... I somewhat cringed when I looked at that 9.00 link because you never really know what your getting in the box. Sure one guy might have good results but the bottom line is its UNPREDICTABLE. Trust me on this.. I've got a lot of experience in the audio industry. Before starting Exile Audio in 2001 I did a 15 year stint at a company called Phoenix Gold. That company specialized in cables. Looking back, its kind of like a bad nightmare because there is so many complicated things when it comes to producing quality cables - speaker / power / low level / hdmi etc. We all have heard terms like OFC, and UL, and copper and silver and gold digilink etc etc... but these are primarily marketing terms. The real score is how well any given company blends the purity of the conductor be it copper or otherwise and finishes it into the jacket. I have personally seen cables coming into the USA market that are copper COLORED aluminum.... guys! guys! guys! Whats up with that!

I wont get into a discernment about sound quality and such... I've never been one of those guys, but please please consider that you spent 30-50K on your boat and probably have 2-5K wrapped up in your stereo - Whats another 100.00 bucks on some good quality beefy cables and peace of mind! I'm not trying to offer a cure for the worlds bad audio... Just offering a little common sense.

When I used to travel the world and train retailers on stereo accessories I would hand sales people a 22 gauge link chain and then pass around a 2 gauge link chain and look at them and say, "hey, both chains work...which one do you want get in a fight with? Which will protect your valuables." It was a pretty good visual. but nowadays I see that some of the more sleazy cable mfgs will even go to the trouble to give you a tiny ass conductor within a huge outer jacket to confuse most people. Again, not a good thing.

My advice is if your going to go to the trouble to re wire (i.e. Mike), use some decent stuff for the longer runs atleast.

Cheers

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Ie ( Mike ) ?

I'm not going to buy and install cheap gear. I like a bargan as much as the next guy and I realy try to keep top quality in my boat. Sound quality is most important in my boat when it comes to tunes. One of the reasons I'm so interested in Exile is because it's local and I can learn a lot from you guys in person. I realy don't like buying anything from an online dealer unless it's because of price. I beleive you realy get a better deal when it's face to face. Something about a hand shake and knowing I can go find that guy if my gear stinks.

I have a home audio system that took me years yo save and build and it absolutly sounds incrediable. That's how I base all my stereos. I run only large high end cables in the house, all hidden out of sight. That system will shake the walls in my home.

Back to the boat I'll hook up with ya soon Brian and I'm like a spong man, you pour the information out and I'll absorb it all.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]