Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Did u upgrade the speaker wires?

Those of u who have upgraded your stereo systems, did you upgrade the speaker wires to the cabin speakers or did u leave the stock wire in place? Just wondering if there is anything to be gained by replacing the stock wire with some high quality 16 gauge wire. I don't mind doing the work and can get some true to gauge monster wire pretty cheap.

Thx,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

can't speak for already doing it, but I'm replacing mine with some better quality speaker wire as I go this winter. as I have been tearing out the old system, the stuff that skiers chose is not junk, but it's def. at the lower end of the quality spectrum.
    now if I was not replacing the system, would I do it with already-installed speakers? no, probably not, but if you are replacing part of the system, might as well do it.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I did. I took all that small cheep wire out and replaced it with quality wire. I really think that it make a difference.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Al what kind of wire do you have the hook up on? I would be interested in it. I just asked Newty the same question last night as to whether I should replace my cabin wires with new wire and he said no not realy. For the standard 70w a speaker we run to the Polks it doesn't make a noticable difference. If you run high end seperates it can make a difference.

Biggest thing is the sub needs a quality cable , mine is 12guage monster sub cable if I recall. I have a bunch if you need some I'll give ya some. I used it on my towers as well since I run a lot of wattage up there. Hard to fish it but it worked.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

AL, the wire on the factory install on my '07 is 16ga. That's really all you need, any bigger is a waste. It is decent wire and to test this i ran some 16ga oxy free to one of my Polks MoMo's on one side and tested it against the other side with factory wire. Imo it made no discernable difference throughout the range.
    2007 Mobius LSV

The OEM speaker wires (on my 0 are plenty good. The quality difference between what's already there and what you'd buy aftermarket is almost entirely in the jacket, with the aftermarket wires being more flexible. In the case of my boat speakers, having the wire fairly rigid means you can get away with fewer wire ties to keep it off the floor.

Guys,

Thanks for the good info, as usual.

Mike,

This is the cable I am thinking of running:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1602

Home Depot sells it for $30 for a 100' reel. I think it's designed for home theater use and it doesn't say that it's made of oxygen free copper so I don't know if this really is good cable my application. Opinions, anyone?

Thanks for the offer on the 12 gauge cable - I'll take you up on that for my sub.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for the good info, as usual.

Mike,

This is the cable I am thinking of running:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1602

Home Depot sells it for $30 for a 100' reel. I think it's designed for home theater use and it doesn't say that it's made of oxygen free copper so I don't know if this really is good cable my application. Opinions, anyone?

Thanks for the offer on the 12 gauge cable - I'll take you up on that for my sub.

Al
    There are cheaper options out there with the same quality but you aren't paying for the Monster Cable name, but for $30 I suppose it's not much to worry about. As for the oxygen free, on paper it's slightly better, but makes no difference in real world application.

Brian,

I tried that route already. I bought 100' of OFC 16 gauge Hitron brand wire from sonicelectronix for $9 (see link below) and when I got it, I was disappointed in the size of the copper compared to some other 16 gauge wire that I already had. I just happen to have a micrometer so I decided to mic it. It mic'ed out at about 0.045" diameter whereas true 16 gauge is supposed to be 0.051". Not a big deal but I am surprised at how much disparity there is in wire thickness within the same gauge wire by different manufacturers. The copper in the $30 monster cable looks twice as thick by comparison.

I also ordered some of the 12 gauge Hitron wire and it was even worse - mic'ed out at about 0.061" instead of 0.081 like it's supposed to be. I am going to return both wires.

I'll try and take pics of both 16 gauge wires side by side and post it tonght. It's pretty dramatic.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...aker+Wire.html
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Oxy free wire has one major benefit in a marine application, you don't worry about oxidation/degradation of the terminus thus a drop in contact over time.

Name brand wire has no real benefit, your just paying more. What you really want is a wire with heavier jacketing to ward off tear throughs around towers and fiberglass. That's why i buy from KnuKoncepts, nice heavy jackets and good wire.
    2007 Mobius LSV