Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 Outback V View Post
    Cab,

Thanks, thats awesome. Now I just need to verify that I can fit Bullet hollow points in the cans. I had another thought, Aerial has single pods with a 55 watt light on the other side. http://cgi.ebay.com/WAKEBOARD-TOWER-...item2ea8ca6709 I don't have docking lights on my boat, do you or anyone else think that two or four of these cans would help me dock on my lift. Docking at night of course If the Bullets fit, anyone think that they will rattle the light around to much and make vibrating noises?
    I saw those too but since the cans would sit level, then the lights would be level so I don't think they'd be much use for docking lights. I think they are more for show. I would buy their light bar (see below) and ask them to build you one with all 5 lights pointing forwards. For $149, it's a pretty good deal. Just click on "Sellers other items" and you will see them. I'm thinking of buying one and mounting them to the front tower tubing (and the speakers mounted on the back tubing).

Also, I believe the hollow points are pretty long speakers so I don't think they'd fit length wise in the cans with the lights in them.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks cab,

I'll check into that light bar. I didn't even think that the pod lights would be pointed too high. Guess that's why all you are here.

Thanks

Yup, that's what this forum is all about - to bounce ideas of each other and learn from each other. Glad to help. I've learned plenty from the good people on this forum as well.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al,
    I reread the link i think i want to run them parellel with two wire in order to pull a 2 ohm load. therefore i don't have to run more wires up the tower and get more power from the amp. ( using two channels from six channel amp)
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Al,
    I reread the link i think i want to run them parellel with two wire in order to pull a 2 ohm load. therefore i don't have to run more wires up the tower and get more power from the amp. ( using two channels from six channel amp)
    It's not as easy as it might seem to run four strands of 16 gauge, trust me! I did it on mine as the JBL 6x9's i have are 150 rms/330 peak and the ZX650.4 is perfect for them on their own channels. It's a pain having to run them and route them through the existing holes and make it look factory.
    2007 Mobius LSV

jm,

You will need to run a pair of speaker wires from the amp to each speaker in order to drive two speakers from one channel (wire them parallel). This way, the amp will see a 2 ohm load. Yes, u will have to pull another pair of wires for each speaker u are adding.

If you don't want to pull the additional wires, then u can wire the speakers in series but again, your amp will see an 8 ohm load and it's power output will be cut in half (and each speaker will only get 1/2 of that). So u are going from 70w at 4 ohms to 35w at 8 ohms divided by 2 speakers = 17.5w to each speaker.

Does that make sense?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, Jim;

You can also run parallel by running one wire pair to speaker one and then jumping from speaker one to like terminals on speaker two. This accomplishes the same thing allowing you to still run parallel without running additional strands as shown below. Also here's a nice link to explain more. http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999016.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

razz,

The top illustration in your post is an example of two speakers being wired in series, not parralel. Look at the ullustration on the left on page 2 of the pdf that you provided - it's the same illustration as in your post and they are calling that wiring in series.

Again, the problem with wiring in series is that your speakers will not receive nearly as much power as wiring them in parallel.

The M6600 is rated at 75 W per channel at 4 ohms (my earlier post above says 70W but that's wrong, which I will correct in a minute). So if you wire the two speakers in series to one channel as your diagram shows, then each speaker is only getting 18.75W.

If you wire them parallel, each speaker will get 50W of power. This will require running additional speaker wires for jm to his two additional tower speakers.

I get these numbers by using the formulas at this link:

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

razz.

I just noticed that in the pdf that you provided, page 3 is all jacked up. Page three is all about wiring in parralel but I noticed that in some of the sub-headings, they it says "series" where it should say "parallel". Check it out.

Looks like they copied and pasted the sub-headings then forgot to change the word "series" to "parallel".

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

jm,

According to the pdf that razz provided, you could wire two speakers together in parallel without adding a second pair of speakers wires by just connecting the "+" post from the first speakers to the "+" of the second, and the "-" post of the first to the "-" of the second. However, doing it this way means the wires from the amp to the first speaker is going to be carrying twice current so I don't know if that's a good idea. At a minimum, I would think that you would need to increase the size of those wires.

So in my mind, it's safer to go all the way back to the amp with the second speaker instead of piggybacking onto the first speaker.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV