Hybrid View

Default Another speaker question?

Anyone use damping material for there tower speaker pods? If so does it help remove the tininess from the aluminum cans. what other effects will it have , Louder , softer, none...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I dont have cans right now. I know a lot of speaker enclosures use a damping material. Looks like realy thin or soft home insulation to me.

Since my sub in the boat isnt sealed yet i used some cloth and stuffed it behind it and the result was a much tighter and deeper bass and less hollowness, and echoing threw the boat.

Id expect putting something like that would take the tinging noices out as the sound waves have a soft surface to bounce off of. What your hearing is Sound Resonating.

Results should be, fuller sound, and cleaner sound since you wont have all those waves echoing in the cans.

Just my thoughts
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Go to Walmart and back in the fabric/sewing section you can buy a nice big bag of pillow polyfill for a few bucks. Open your enclosures/cans and fill it loosely, if you pack it in there you'll defeat the purpose. What the goal is here is to change the sound dynamics. This works for any speaker/sub and sometimes will make them sound better.
    2007 Mobius LSV

earmark told me to LOOSELY fill the cans with polyfil for the hollowpoints I'm installing, and I have filled every sub box I have ever built. it's supposed to make the enclosure seem bigger than it is and help the sound.
    razz is correct. head to the evil empire and should have a bag for under $5.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    earmark told me to LOOSELY fill the cans with polyfil for the hollowpoints I'm installing, and I have filled every sub box I have ever built. it's supposed to make the enclosure seem bigger than it is and help the sound.
    razz is correct. head to the evil empire and should have a bag for under $5.
    Thanks, I will head to wally world, the place everyone hates but always goes.

I watched the Krypt HCLD video install and "no Fill" ?? from bullet lines.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-29-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

When you say fill it loosely, you mean completely fill the can but don't pack it in?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV