Default 8 in the boat, where do you ski from?

I typically have a loaded boat, mostly VERY recreational skiers. I would consider myself low-intermediate and completely recreational, and never running a course. That said, I am by far the best skier in the boat. Most will even be on two skis. Curious where, in a similar scenario, you guys ski from? If from the pylon, it cuts off the entire back of the boat and puts way too much weight up front, not to mention being crowded. I have never owned a boat with a tower before, until I bought this Mobius. Can a beginner on two skis ski from there? What about the grab bar on the back? Is it made for that? Getting fired up. Water around here is finally bearable, and heading out today.

Default Replying to Topic '8 in the boat, where do you ski from?'

There are advantages to towing from the pylon for skiing:

- The lateral pull from a skier cutting hard is less likely to pull the boat off course (or track)

-The rope is elevated so it does not drag in the boat wash when a skier is outside the wake

-The spotter can visualize the rope to the skier better because the transom does not hide it

For recreational skiing, you are fine to tow from suitable hook on the transom. Never have people close to or aft of the point of attachment to the boat. These boats are well designed so this is not much of a compromise.
    boomerang

I don't know what the technically correct answer is. However, I own a 2003 Mobius LS, and we have skied several times from the tower with lower ability level skiers. Towing from the tower with a skier who is learning to come up on a slalom ski actually gives you the advantage of a higher tow point to give the skier some lift to help them out of the water. I personally do not ski from the tower, as I am about 240 pounds, and can cut pretty hard. A skier on two will not pull as hard as a large wakeboarder who is cutting hard into the wake. You should be O.K. pulling from the tower, as long as you are not too large, or cutting too hard.

Thanks guys. The grab handle on the transom also has what looks like a spot made for a tow rope. Is that correct? Never seen anyone use it, but looks like it would be ok. I am too big for the tower, as like Arlington I am 6'6 and tip the scales around 220lbs. Thanks again....Tracy

You will be fine pulling from the grab handle. There is a little hook in the middle. You will find that the pull from the pylon is much better for the reasons already stated. I understand the loaded boat issue we often have a full boat. I try to sneak in a last run once we let some out for the day.

We tie off the back, like we did in the old days, when we have a boat load.

Works fine!

From someone elses boat. Just a little humour.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD