Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default have you seen this new head unit?

new kenwood hu. no cd player. ipod and mp3 behind a hinged door, check out the door, it's sweet and a long time coming, sirius tuner and fm tuner. compatible with the kenwood transom remotes.
    3 4v outputs and defeatable internal amp for cleaner sound. sweet unit and $220 on ebay...

hmmm

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMR7...=detailed_info
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I likey Should have came with this earlier. I never use the CD player in the boat. 100% ipod Awesome that it can work with the existing controls.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

This would have been nice to have around about 5 months ago when i upgradded to an Alpine unit for full Ipod control.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

sandm,

I have a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x692 that I bought last year for $125 on Ebay. It has all of those same features - 3 4V preouts, defeatable internal amp, aux in, USB, Sirius/XM ready, etc. Plus lots of more advanced features I don't even know how to use. I think you can get the same performance WITH a built in CD player for $150 or less at sonicelectronix.com with a different Kenwood HU. The one you're looking at looks like it has a bigger chassis too so you may have to enlarge the hole?

tazz,

These days, there really is no need for head unit anymore if you don't listen to the radio or CD. I think it's Newty who doesn't even have a head unit in his boat - he has an EQ with an aux in so that serves as his HU.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

It IS Newty that uses the iPod plug and play. But with HU being so inexpensive these days......why not use them? Your going to pay the same amount for a decent EQ. I'm shopping for a new one with 3 pre-amps and found this new KMR-700u as well. It says its still 1din so I think it just has a larger face. I think it's a little more due to being a "marine deck" too! Looks cool though.

I'm looking at the x493 for $150 on sonicelectronix. Got a buddy that does installs and he says he can't stand the Newer Kenwoods that use the 1 large button for settings and accessing any of the menus. Would look at Alpines but then I'd have to change out my remote puck
    Anybody else have an opinion?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    sandm,

I have a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x692 that I bought last year for $125 on Ebay. It has all of those same features - 3 4V preouts, defeatable internal amp, aux in, USB, Sirius/XM ready, etc. Plus lots of more advanced features I don't even know how to use. I think you can get the same performance WITH a built in CD player for $150 or less at sonicelectronix.com with a different Kenwood HU. The one you're looking at looks like it has a bigger chassis too so you may have to enlarge the hole?

tazz,

These days, there really is no need for head unit anymore if you don't listen to the radio or CD. I think it's Newty who doesn't even have a head unit in his boat - he has an EQ with an aux in so that serves as his HU.
    Last edited by viking; 10-26-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: additional info.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Sled491 Guest

I like the clean looks of this. I would agree no CD's on boat IPOD all the way. Come down about 75 to 100 bucks and I'm in

viking,

How do you plan to use the head unit? If you are going to use the aux in or the usb plug and put the player in the glove box, then the x493 seems like a good choice since these inputs are on the front of the unit.

If you are going to have the player at the helm and run a cable to the HU like I am doing, then you might think about getting an HU with the aux or USB on the back such as the x792.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al,
    I was planning on upgrading the HU in stock location in glovebox and using the remote at drivers seat. I need 3 preamps for addition of my amps. Plus, If i put it anywhere else I don't know what i'd do with the hole. I'm torn because I don't know if I'll like the 1 button access feature for all the menu's on the new Kenwoods. But I'd need to changout my remote puck If I go any other brand and I'm already spending more than I set out too (isn't that always the case?)
    I like the front AUX and USB access on the Kenwoods. Want to stay with 4v preamps.
    How important is ACC playback? Not sure on that one?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    viking,

How do you plan to use the head unit? If you are going to use the aux in or the usb plug and put the player in the glove box, then the x493 seems like a good choice since these inputs are on the front of the unit.

If you are going to have the player at the helm and run a cable to the HU like I am doing, then you might think about getting an HU with the aux or USB on the back such as the x792.

Al

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Sorry, I didn't word that right. By player, I meant ur music source such as Zune/iPod/iPhone etc., not the head unit. What will be your main source of music?

What is ACC playback??
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sorry, I didn't word that right. By player, I meant ur music source such as Zune/iPod/iPhone etc., not the head unit. What will be your main source of music?

What is ACC playback??
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV