Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Viking - An email I sent to SC customer service failed. I explained the situation, included a link to this post, and asked what it recommended regarding what would appear to be poor installation of five of the six tower mounting plates. Instead of trying a second email to customer service, I will reach out next week by phone and keep you posted. - Deerfield
    SOUNDS GOOD!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Viking - Sent the letter w/ pictures today to Skiers Choice corporate in Tennessee. Here's the essential request in the letter: "Please let me know if this situation with the placement of the backing plates has compromised the integrity of the tower mounts and is cause for concern because it could result in stress cracks to the fiberglass deck or possible wholesale failure." Will let you know what I hear back. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thanks Deerfield. Still confuses me why they would all be different? Looks like scraps to me except for the 3 plates on my boat?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Smile

Viking - Here's the update and outcome.

Engineering and production at Skiers Choice looked at all the facts. Upshot: There is no compromise to the integrity of the tower as currently mounted or possibilty of stress fracture to the fiberglass deck.

Nonetheless, Skiers Choice wants to do things right and bring this tower install into conformity. It has asked the dealer from which the boat was purchased to do the underside glass and bracket work, with cost to be absorbed by the factory.

I have learned that deck construction on different models, as well as on the same models over different years, can vary. In addition, factors such as tower design, bracket placement, and underside reinforcement also differ from applicaiton to application. So, the decision with respect to the tower situation on my '07 Outback may not apply in other situations.

Next step is for me to schedule a service repair date with the dealer. Want to avoid hauling her back and forth in the snow. She's my pride and joy. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

That's awesome. Another example of SC being a stand up company. i'm going to check my 08 outback tonight and see how my tower is mounted.
    Last edited by phospher; 02-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    i'm going to check my 08 outback tonight and see how my tower is mounted.
    phospher - Please let us know what you find. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Checked my rear four mounts and they have the extra thick reinforced fiberglass and the mounts are perfectly centered. However, only 1 mount (the front left) has a metal backing plate. I forgot to check the front two..

Seemed pretty damn solid though.
    Last edited by phospher; 02-06-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    Checked my rear four mounts and they have the extra thick reinforced fiberglass and the mounts are perfectly centered. However, only 1 mount (the front left) has a metal backing plate. I forgot to check the front two..

Seemed pretty damn solid though.
    phospher - Based on what I learned from my conversations with Skiers Choice, I would conclude that your tower is properly mounted and secure. No worries! - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Awesome. Thanks Deerfield. I'll check the other two front mounts and report back if I find anything different.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Checked the other two forward mount points. They are all reinforced with the thick fiberglass and bolts are centered. Also, it is both the front mount points that have the steel plate. So it looks like mine is both consistent and setup correctly.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier