Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tower Mount Backing Plate

Hey all,
    As I was climbing around my boat preparing for my stereo upgrade project I noticed something odd...............
    passenger side middle mount.jpg this is the middle mount backing on passenger side
    passender rear mount.jpg this is the rear mount backing on passenger side
    passenger side front mount.jpg this is the front mount backing plate on passenger side. And all of the 3 mounts on driver's side have this plate.

Why would this be?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I would think it has to do with the Stresses they expect on the tower. Not sure why there all different.

On mine the Front mounts have a huge 1inch added fiberglass block the bolts go threw on both sides and the rears have a much thinner block. I figure its because the tower creates a much larger stress point on the front de to it being pulled back by the boarding.

As for your tower its a 3 point mount and im not sure why it would be different on one side of the boat as to the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mmandley; 10-25-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I would think it has to do with the Stresses they expect on the tower. Not sure why there all different.

On mine the Front mounts have a huge 1inch added fiberglass block the bolts go threw on both sides and the rears have a much thinner block. I figure its because the tower creates a much larger stress point on the front de to it being pulled back by the boarding.

As for your tower its a 3 point mount and im not sure why it would be different on one side of the boat as to the other.
    Mine is exactly the same as yours. I do not understand why if it is the same manufacturer, thaey would have different mounting for the towers. Does not make any sense to me at all.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

bump bump......
    I still don't know if I should try and get some alluminum plates for the tower mounts where there are just blocks of HDPE for backing or not?

Worries me that stress cracks might start to develope where there are no plates? Is this something that SC would provide and stand behind if the dealer took a shortcut installing? Or maybe this was done at the mfg? I don't know?

Maybe I should email pics to Anthony at SC?

Thoughts?

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    bump bump......
    I still don't know if I should try and get some alluminum plates for the tower mounts where there are just blocks of HDPE for backing or not?

Worries me that stress cracks might start to develope where there are no plates? Is this something that SC would provide and stand behind if the dealer took a shortcut installing? Or maybe this was done at the mfg? I don't know?

Maybe I should email pics to Anthony at SC?

Thoughts?
    Viking - I will crawl into my '07 Outback, take pictures, and post here on the board for you to see. My tower was part of the deal at the time that I ordered my boat. Don't know if the mounting plates were installed at the factory or dealership. In any case, I'll take pics and we can compare to your situation. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Viking. I would e-mail sc and see if you tower was installed at the factory or the dealer based on your vin # and should the backing plates be there for support.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Yeah Viking,

First thing I would do is see if it was a factory install and if so leave it alone so you know they will cover it. I would think that tehy would in the lifetime hull warranty if put on at the factory. I will try and get picks of mine to post too.

Viking - You are on to something. Just one of the six mounting blocks in my '07 Outback are positioned correctly. As a result, in my opinion strength and security of the tower mounting plates are compromised and SC should redo the job. See the below pics. Took these today. - Deerfield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

YA!! Isn't it odd? It's almost like they used whatever was laying around at the time.
    Deerfield,
    On your pics only the first one has proper support IMO and the last 1 for sure is comprimised with only washers?
    On mine I have 3 pretty thin plates on the drivers side (all three mounting points) I think they are alluminum but not sure. On the passenger side the front mount is the same and the back 2 have small chunks of HDPE whereas yours the used one each mount but not properly placed?
    I think we need to get some answers

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Viking - You are on to something. Just one of the six mounting blocks in my '07 Outback are positioned correctly. As a result, in my opinion strength and security of the tower mounting plates are compromised and SC should redo the job. See the below pics. Took these today. - Deerfield

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Viking - An email I sent to SC customer service failed. I explained the situation, included a link to this post, and asked what it recommended regarding what would appear to be poor installation of five of the six tower mounting plates. Instead of trying a second email to customer service, I will reach out next week by phone and keep you posted. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart