Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iphone question

Default iphone question

Being a complete noob to wakeboats and stuff. My boat is getting the stereo installed as we speak and getting the ipod adaptor for the drivers helm. I'll be using my iphone, does this power/charge the iphone?

youdaman - what deck / adaptor combo. Typically I'd say yes, it should charge but the devil is in the details.

another thing to think about is your music on the ipod;iphone. you want to take a look and make sure its not highly compressed. You'll want the 256K media so your system has some decent dynamic range. Trust me on this one.

Cheers

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    youdaman - what deck / adaptor combo. Typically I'd say yes, it should charge but the devil is in the details.

another thing to think about is your music on the ipod;iphone. you want to take a look and make sure its not highly compressed. You'll want the 256K media so your system has some decent dynamic range. Trust me on this one.

Cheers

-Brian
    Exile Audio
    Brian,

I'll be using this adaptor from Earmark http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=285&page=1 Plus David at Earmark designed the system after seeing what my wants/needs are so I'm sure he took into account this. I checked most of the song properties and all are 256k
    Last edited by you da man; 03-28-2010 at 09:54 PM.

You Da Man, let me say this about using the iphone, be very carefull! They are in no way as sturdy as an ipod. I know i have both and have had the iphone since it first came out and i'm now on number two which is also jacked up and i'm very carefull with it. ipods will take abuse and keep going, the iphone will not! Consequently i only use the ipod in the boat and never the iphone.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    You Da Man, let me say this about using the iphone, be very carefull! They are in no way as sturdy as an ipod. I know i have both and have had the iphone since it first came out and i'm now on number two which is also jacked up and i'm very carefull with it. ipods will take abuse and keep going, the iphone will not! Consequently i only use the ipod in the boat and never the iphone.
    Thanks for the advice.

DaMan - Looks like your set up is fine. Davids crew at Earmark only use first class stuff. No worries there.

Razz's comments about the iphone are spot on. I was on a boat last week tuning it and plugged my iphone in only to see it do tweaky things. It's just been on one to many rodeo's so to speak. I reached back into my bag, found my daughters ipod and plugged it in, to have chinese music blaring at me at 140 dB (damn kids in immersion schools). Holy crap, I about fell out of the boat. So the real deal is to have an ipod with decent tunes on it. haha!

Happy boating!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

While we are on the subject of how fragile the iphone is, anyone know if they make a dock that will hold an iphone with the otter box case? I use the otter box at all times with my iphone due to my rough nature and it definitely makes me feel better when i take it around water. The case is not 100% water proof but it will prevent some accidental water getting on the phone.

here are some pics of the otter box incase anyone doesn’t know what it is.

PS: Nice lookin boat you got there DaMan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Holy crap, I about fell out of the boat. So the real deal is to have an ipod with decent tunes on it. haha!
    Bwahaha! Way too funny! I can just imagine the look on your face!

guinsha54, mine was amored and while it does help a bit, they are just too fragile imo. Example, my ipod gets tossed around a bit in the glovebox, kids banging it around and such. It's been dropped a few times, nothing fazes it. The iphone (one of them) got dropped once in it's armored case and from then on never worked right. The one i have now has a gray line completely across the screen at the bottom that just appeared for no reason and Apple won't do a thing. The displays are extremelt delicate. Look on ebay and you'll find tons of replacements displays.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I hear ya Razz, even with a good case the iphone is still fragile compared to the ipod. Only problem is I broke my ipod by dropping it and now that I’ve got the iphone didn’t want to spend the cash for another ipod when the phone can do it all.

What case did you have on your iphone that broke? Just curious because I’ve slammed mine “not thrown just fell pretty hard” a few times and I guess been lucky that it’s still fine.
    2005 Mobius LSV

I really wish itunes was easier to use. had a ipod a couple of years ago and never could get music into the ipod. finally gave up and bought a regular mp3 that uses drag/drop and it's a snap to use.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten