Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To change or not to change (the oil)?

I'm really getting contradicting advice on this. Should I change the oil now or should I change it in the Spring? I have been of the thought that I should change it now so it sits all Winter with good oil. But now I'm being told that I don't want the new oil to just sit all Winter. That the old oil is fine sitting in the boat because it is just in the oil pan anyway and that I should add new oil in the Spring so it is fresh. What is the right answer?

Garn

The very best thing to do is change the oil twice. I think changing the oil during winterization is the best if you are going to do it once.

There is no "right" answer. MOST people change it in the fall.

I change it in the spring. Just personal preference. I prefer to have truly fresh oil in the spring. People argue that setiments sink to the bottom and can cause issues by leaving it. The "best" is to do both.

I do mine in the spring. Personal preference and thoughts on oil life and breakdown.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

I've always changed mine in the fall during winterization. Probably doesn't make a whole of difference one way or the other. When spring comes, I want to be ready to roll and not have to worry about changing the oil.

I supposed you could drain the oil in the fall then wait until spring to fill it? Best of both worlds?? Just don't forget to fill it!!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

change it in the fall so you are ready to roll in the spring. one less thing to do when that first nice day hits you want to go boating. no advantage to waiting, and waste of money to change in the fall then put new oil in again in the spring that hasn't been run..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I agree! My thoughts exactly..........everyone's open to their own!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    change it in the fall so you are ready to roll in the spring. one less thing to do when that first nice day hits you want to go boating. no advantage to waiting, and waste of money to change in the fall then put new oil in again in the spring that hasn't been run..

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Condensation in the engine is very hard on the oil. this condensation and resultant water will cause acid build up in the oil with resultant corrosion of the engine. Therefore fresh oil in the fall and circulated thru the block on winterization is the optimum choice to eliminate these acids.

I always change the oil before winterizing, you don't want the old oil full of contamination sitting in the block and suspended on parts for long periods. Changing the oil before flushes these contaminants. It's also not necessary to change again in the spring if you change it before winterizing, all your doing is flushing perfectly good oil.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Condensation in the engine is very hard on the oil. this condensation and resultant water will cause acid build up in the oil with resultant corrosion of the engine. Therefore fresh oil in the fall and circulated thru the block on winterization is the optimum choice to eliminate these acids.
    Doesn't this condensation occur every time we put the boat away after use? What does circulating the oil thru the block before putting it away for the winter accomplish, vs just changing the oil and not circulating it?

I changed the oil at the same time I winterized so I did not start the engine and circulate it after I changed it.

Doesn't fogging the engine with fogging oil prevent the corrosion inside the engine?

Brian Raymond from Indmar - would you please chime in?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Fogging just takes care of the upper combustion chamber,valves and manifolds. The rest of the engine, bearings,crankshaft, camshafts ets are lubed by the engine oil. So i just like them all being coated with fresh oil rather than the old acidic oil. Makes me feel better.

On a side note i also fill my filter with close to a litre of oil before i screw it on so there is little if any oiless time

Now just to throw a twist into this. There is debate if fogging is necessary at all. With the new Cat engines fogging is contraindicated as the oil can interfere with the cats. I think it may be more to do with the O2 sensors rather than the cat themselves as they get pretty hot and i would think thatany oil would be burnt off, unless the oil gets them too hot and aids in the breakdown or melting of the matrix. I think and engine guy is needed here.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 10-22-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: why not