Default Heater - 2 or 4 Outlets?

I am thinking about installing a heater craft heater in my boat over the winter. In pricing this out, go2marine has the two outlet complete kit with two pull out heat tubes for $354 and the four outlet complete kit with four pull out heat tubes for $409. I'm surprised how little the cost difference is. If anyone knows where I can buy either one cheaper, please let me know.

I was thinking of doing something similar as csmsk did below (sorry for stealing you pic, Chris) but not sure I want to give up the storage under the seat for the two extra tubes especially if we end up not using them much.

So those of you that have a two heater unit, do you ever wish you had more and would you give up some storage space for the two extra heat tubes? I have two kids so they would each use one, which wouldn't leave any for the other kids that we usually have on board. Maybe I just answered my own question ...

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

personally, I like the heater for the few times a year it's chilly, but I can't imagine using the ones near the floor. I like the ones in the walkthru. sit on the seat opposite the driver and use them to warm up..

2 would be my choice if I installed one again....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Al, The existing two outlet (actually three as one's under the helm) pull out tubes are only good to the spotters seat area or the the bow. The bow is moot if your moving though. With CSMK's option your actually only giving up that small unused area under the drivers seat and a very small corner where it rises to the rear seat.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz,

Yeah, I think they pull out 6' so the observer's seat is about it. And you're right, if the boat is moving and you are cold, you wouldn't be sitting in the bow.

I store a lot of seldom used/emergency items in the compartment under the driver's seat such as a first aid kit, two telescoping paddles, a spotlight, goggles and dive knife, some tools, etc., and I access it right where that rear most tube is located so that placement would block my access.

I was thinking that I would put the two rear tubes kind of where csmsk put the rear most one. Then I would cut an access hole with a door (like a glove box door) in the front of the underseat compartment so I could still use that space for storage.

Still thinking thru my options at this point.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    personally, I like the heater for the few times a year it's chilly, but I can't imagine using the ones near the floor. I like the ones in the walkthru. sit on the seat opposite the driver and use them to warm up..

2 would be my choice if I installed one again....
    sandm,

The rear outlets could be used by two people sitting behing the driver's seat is the two front ones are already being used.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

i have the 2 bow ones plus the drivers.....definitely like the 2 extra in the toilet bowl.....more is always better imo

The problem with the stock ones is that you have to sit in the bow or the seat right accross from the driver to use them. With cold weather boating no one wants to sit in the bow. I have been thinking on installing a few more heater vents in the back of the boat.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

2x on more the better. the to up front are great, for the two people sitting on each other in the spotter seat. we ride with the bow cover on when it is cold, so no one is in the bow. the vent under the DR seat would be a great thing.

Thanks guys. I think you've convinced me to get 4 vs 2. I am thinking that I would install vents 3&4 right next to each other under the driver's seat (where there is one installed in the pic). That would minimize the amt of storage space lost as well as the length of the hose from the heater unit.

Placing them under the driver's seat should allow it reach behind the driver's seat and directly across the boat. It would even reach to the rear bench seat but if you're cold, you wouldn't be sitting all the way in the back when the boat is moving anyway.
    Last edited by cab13367; 10-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

I have the stock system which is 2 in the walk way and one at the drivers feet. What you need to make these work the best is a blanket or big towel. A snap on bow cover helps a lot as well. We will never own a boat again without them. Oh yeah if you check the source of the heater tubes you can see how you can lenghten the hoses for more flexibility with use