Default Setting Amplifier Gains

The below instructions were posted by Phil White of Kicker on another forum and i thought it would benefit everyone who has questions on how to go about it.

Per Phil's instructions;

Turn gains way down but not totally off at the EQ and all amps.

Now turn radio up with your loudest source selection, (radio, MP3, CD etc) until you can audibly hear the sound beginning to distort, get crunchy, etc... Then turn the radio down just barely below that.

Now turn the EQ gains slowly up until you hear that distorted crunchy sound. It should sound similar to the distortion that the radio put out. Turn the EQ gains back down just a little below that.

Finally do the same thing with your full-range-in-boat speakers amplifier. Turn the gains up till crunchy then back off... turn up your sub amp until it blends with the in-boat speakers, and if you cannot get the sub amp loud enough, go back to the in-boat amp and turn it down to match the sub.

What we are doing here is using our ear to gain-stage the whole system... The method I describe makes every component clip at the same time. Each and every device is more-or-less exactly calibrated where they track uniformly from zero-output to max output.

This will deliver the best signal and will minimize operating noise, clicks, pops, etc... Phil White / Kicker
    2007 Mobius LSV

I used this same thing Razz back when i set mine up. Only problem i ran into is i don't run an EQ. When the gains are all the way down my Deck goes to 35 and its crystal clear.

When i turn the gains up on the amp i can get it to clip at like 75% with stereo at 33 on the dial.

I think my stereo has an electronic clip for its own output or something.

I had to turn my gains down to 40 anyhow because if there up my sub is too weak and the music just gets loud and unbalanced.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default gain gain gain and more gain

Phil's process is essentially correct on paper, but the real world has a way of effecting results. As it turns out no device clips identically. No potentiometer is in fact linear and when you throw eq's into the mix they become little noise generators. Seeing as the more I surf the Moomba forum I see ALOT of guys from Portland, Tigard, Seattle etc.

My thought is this.... why dont we have a teaching clinic at the Exile Factory. The local guys can bring their boats down and we can do an old fashioned tweak and tune session. We are all gear heads and I suspect people would learn ALOT! We've done these sessions for our retailers for years. You guys are a pretty close knit group. No reason why we couldnt do some teaching. Doesnt matter whos gear your running etc.

The Exile factory is located in Lake Oswego Oregon. Who here is local to that? Sound fun?

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Brian that is an awesome offer and i would expect our Oregon brethren will take you up on that offer!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Phil's process is essentially correct on paper, but the real world has a way of effecting results. As it turns out no device clips identically. No potentiometer is in fact linear and when you throw eq's into the mix they become little noise generators. Seeing as the more I surf the Moomba forum I see ALOT of guys from Portland, Tigard, Seattle etc.

My thought is this.... why dont we have a teaching clinic at the Exile Factory. The local guys can bring their boats down and we can do an old fashioned tweak and tune session. We are all gear heads and I suspect people would learn ALOT! We've done these sessions for our retailers for years. You guys are a pretty close knit group. No reason why we couldnt do some teaching. Doesnt matter whos gear your running etc.

The Exile factory is located in Lake Oswego Oregon. Who here is local to that? Sound fun?

-Brian
    Exile Audio
    Wow that would be awsome.

People near PDX that i know of online.
    Myself
    Jester
    Robertj
    KtMobius
    Newty
    Cab

I know there at least half a dozen others in Washington area as well. Just give them a few days to respond.

Id be down for this as long as there a little notice incase i need to take off work. The only days that are really hard for me are Thurs Fri Sat but i can take a day off if i have a weeks notice.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]