Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tazz that is exactly the reason i pull them and they sit on 1 amp tricklers all winter.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I'm looking into a used OBV that has dual batteries and I'm looking for some overview on the battery maintenance required. Over the winter the boat will likely be in a barn/garage that is not insulated. During the season we'll obviously try to use as much as possible but I'm sure there will be stretches of 2-3 weeks where we won't have a chance.

For the winter is the only thing I need to do is pick up 2 1 amp trickle chargers (whatever google finds?), bring the batteries inside and stick them on the chargers full time all winter (while not sitting on concrete)? Or do I need something more involved?

Then during the season what should I be doing in regards to battery maintenance? Should I be looking to set up some sort of regular charging (but I'm assuming not plugged in any time I'm at home?) Do I just go back to the trickle chargers any time it will be more than a week or so between uses? Or what?

I've never owned a boat (just a user for a long time) so trying to get started on the right foot. Thanks

Putting them on the trickle chargers during the off season is all you need to do. If your taking it out every 2-3 weeks during the boating season then you really don't need to do anything as long as your batts fully charge while out. Charging them between outings won't hurt and if it makes you feel better about it then definitely do it.
    2007 Mobius LSV

So something like this? (float vs. trickle)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Those are exactly what i use and they do the job. May not be fancy but they keep the batts charged over the winter.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Perfect, thanks.

IF you plan on upgrading the stereo system in the future to like 3 amplifiers and 2+ stereo batteries or running your one stereo battery down often, then you need to look into a Pro Mariner type charger. Those Battery Tenders do not have the amps to fully charge a discharged battery. You'll need to look into something that has 20+amps.

I just have one battery in my boat and I have one of these hard wired to the battery terminals. I have an extension cord plugged in to the ceiling above the boat in the garage and if I am not going to use the boat for an extended period, I plug the charger in. Very convenient and works great.

http://store.schumachermart.com/se-1-12s.html

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

would one of those work for a dual battery settup? Would you need 2 or how would you wire it in?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    would one of those work for a dual battery settup? Would you need 2 or how would you wire it in?
    Unless it's a two bank charger, then you'll have to get 2. I just ordered a Pro Mariner 3 bank charger for my 3 batteries