Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    would one of those work for a dual battery settup? Would you need 2 or how would you wire it in?
    viking,

No, I thinking they only work for one battery. Amazon sells them for $30 each, free shipping, so you could buy two pretty cheap.

Or you can buy the dual bank trickle charger below for $99 @ http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...l/GU2607A.html

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about this charger, just doing a little shopping for you

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Finally picked up the boat today after having them install a dual battery. They put in the perko switch and installed a buss bar. Dealer said there is no need to put them on the charger since the PERKO switch is in the OFF position. Wonder what everyone thinks of that?

btw - had some gelcoat work done and it came out looking brand spanking new.
    2009 Moomba Mobius XLV: 340hp, bimini top, Kenwood speaker system with sub.

A battery will start discharging the minute it no longer is receiving a charge. It sits long enough and you have a dead battery. Every battery should receive a maintenance trickle charge if it's sitting for longer than a few weeks. Over the winter they should be hooked to a charger(s) while the boat is stored. I prefer out of the boat in my garage. Your dealer should know this and should have informed you off that.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    A battery will start discharging the minute it no longer is receiving a charge. It sits long enough and you have a dead battery. Every battery should receive a maintenance trickle charge if it's sitting for longer than a few weeks. Over the winter they should be hooked to a charger(s) while the boat is stored. I prefer out of the boat in my garage. Your dealer should know this and should have informed you off that.
    He said during the winter he usually just removes the cables. I think I may pull the batteries and keep them at home on the charger.
    2009 Moomba Mobius XLV: 340hp, bimini top, Kenwood speaker system with sub.

I agree 100% with what Razz says.....
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Do not listen to the dealer. Let me give you and example. In my motorhome, I have three batteries. 1 12volt for the main and 2 6volt for the coach. I do have a shut off switch for the batteries. The one for the 6 Volts is ran off the main battery. Then I have a manual switch for the for the main. My motorhome is completely dead now. After about 3 or 4 months later, I go to get it ready for a trip. I turn on the main battery and then the switch for the coach batteries. Nothing happens. The batteries are completely dead. They were so dead that they would not hold a charge and I had to buy neww batteries all the way around. Get the trickle charger. Keep your boat batteries on them until it is used again. My boat is in the garage and on the charger right now. We came back from our last trip about 2 months ago. I forgot to put the trickle charger on the batteries. It took about a day and a half to bring them up to fully charge. The charger was off for about two months with the Perko switch off.

Now in regards to the motorhome, I had the dealer install a solar panel on the roof. I will never run out of juice now.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Just a few basics.

Flooded batteries can self-discharge by 3 to 4 percent a month. Storing batteries in a discharged state accelerates their decomposition. A short maintenance charger is a good idea on the starting battery since it is put up relatively charged, as part of a dual-bank set-up.

However, deep cycle batteries that are deeply discharged when the stereo is played at rest, deserve greater capacity charging in order to properly desulphate and condition. For this you would want a dual-bank multi-stage AC shore charger that has a charging capacity equal to or greater than ten percent of the total batteries' amp/hour rating. A smart dual bank charger that distributes its capacity on demand to the bank in need is also an advantage over a charger that limits the current to each bank.

A dual-bank charger has the advantage of aggressively restoring the stereo bank without overcharging the starting battery.

Extra battery capacity is a benefit because if you continually exhaust your stereo bank to empty (10.5 volts for example) you'll get fewer cycles than if you partially deplete the batteries.

Full restoration should take place immediately upon storage rather than waiting just prior to the next outing.

With big stereos and play at rest you dont want to be solely dependent on your alternator. Get the best AC charger you can justify. Do what the tournament fisherman do as they've been dialed into battery technology and maintenance forever. Imagine a 40 amp trolling motor fighting a head wind for 8 hours. Those guys have to maximize their batteries because when their batteries are dead they're finished fishing.

David
    Earmark Marine

David, any specific charger recommendations for dual battery setups?

brian,

We usually begin with the Guest 2611A 10 amp dual bank charger (5 + 5).

But I really like the ProMariner ProSport 12 and 20 amp models. They may be a little less protected from direct exposure to water but since they're not potted they cool very well. And the distribution scheme will deliver the full capacity to the bank in need. The ProSport 20 is our best seller. Then we graduate up to the ProTech 1240iPlus and to Progressive Dynamics for 60 or 80 amp models. We've got detailed info on our website. Get with me about overall wiring schemes if you're interested.

David
    Earmark Marine
    [email protected]

David, is that a desulfating charger as well, or just a charger? and or what are your thoughts on desulfators?
    thanks doug
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug