Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default run-in with panama city law..

well, been here on vacation for a couple days. rented a pontoon boat to cruise the bay and see shell island. stopped to scuba for a minute and the po-po showed up. was probably one of the worst run-in's with a leo that I have ever had. guy was an absolute butt, impolite and treated us like crap. had a diver in the water, 4ft deep with no flag(along a sandbar). I blame the rental agency for not providing/selling us one, but there were 3 other pontooners without them as well, so must be a common thing. granted ignorance is no excuse, but to be an arse about it?? the eco-tour guy got hassled for his as well since it had a tear in it. lectured all of us for almost 40 minutes then left with no tickets. guy on the eco-tour has seen him out here for 10 years and says he's always an arse..

you sure would think with tourism down, leo's would want to remain friendly toward those that make part of their job possible, but not the case here with officer moore..
    almost seemed like they wait for the rental pontoons to show up for their afternoon fun. I would wonder why they don't address the root cause with the rental companies, except that I really think they like hassling people..

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

hey..
    I'll bitch right with ya on the traffic. we have been driving front beach road for 4 days and the number of people that can't seem to do 35, or even 25 pisses me off....
    I've had several pull off the road for "pushing" them. and all the dang 49cc scooters down here that only go 30. they're everywhere and hold up traffic...

just keep in mind though that, especially where you live, tourism pays part of your check.. they(we) are a "necessary evil"..

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    Nope, not my check. I work for a T&D company owned by the Swedish
    don't be too sure.
    tourism goes away and there is not one industry that will not feel the pains..

You come to FL we expect you to follow the rules. If you don't and get hurt you'll be clogging up our court system. As for the driving, it took me about 3 years to get used to people stopping in the middle of a 6 lane highway to wave somebody out in front of them. A mad cross between hospitality and not being in any hurry at all.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, there are manatee areas and there are probably rules you don't even know about that have to be followed. The rules on the water can be complex and if you read up first then you won't stick out like a sore thumb otherwise the locals will get someone to help you learn them. I know, I've called a few people in to the patrol. I know also that Florida has a very favorable tax base and much of that is from tourists and I stayed away from that rif raf stuff when I lived in Florida in my younger days except when I needed a lei.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

whats the state income tax rate in FL 0% Bingo, its not from the tech sector. Don't Burn Mickey and Spidy just yet.

my nickel worths .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Us tourists hate grumpy locals that have nothing better to do than complain. Especially when tourism brings in about 4 billion in sales tax revenue to "your" state. You may want to rethink how important tourism is to your area.

don't get me started on The Columbus OH- when I was there last time I got a $150 speeding ticket for going 28 mph- I didn't even know my truck could go that slow but I'm pretty sure the cop saw the Colts plate on the front of my truck. I guess I can't complain because it turns out it was a school zone and as the buckeyes that I work with would ask "what's wrong with you... do you hate children?"
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Sled491 Guest

I have a licnese to do business in Florida, that came on the heels of a 5000.00 fine because we didn't know our workmans comp wasn't accepted in Florida. That makes Florida one of only 3 states in the union to have there own system.

This is another reason for 0% taxes. But I agree whole heartedly, you can't scare away tourists. And yes Disney is a giant scam, and you will never catch me and my family back there. Now for diving, West Palm Beach is just about one of my most favorite places to dive, I venture I have dove over 75 times there.

The LEO that is pictured is a breed all on their own. I think they are fellows who got kicked out of the CIA/FBI academy, because most of them are jerks. The problem is, they yield "power" unlike any other LEO in the state.

There are a few states that don't have state Income tax, but none have beautiful beaches, great weather in the winter, and vacation resorts for any lifestyle. Tourists (IMO) are great, the problem comes from our part-time (snow bird) residents. Unfortunately, those people choose to buy cars with turn signals, cruise control, or GPS. It makes it very dangerous for us full time residents.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier