Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine Break-In Period

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Now the hard part begins!!! You have to break in the engine!!! And you have to go SLOOOOOOOWWWWW! Read you manual and get ready to take a couple of tours around the lake waving at the canoes as they pass you! But this will pass and you will have a blast!!
    I am quoting this from another thread, because I did not want to threadjack the OP.

I was told the complete opposite of this by the SC dealer in Land O Lakes. He told me, get it and drive it like you stole right from the get go. Was also told the same thing by the Tige dealer and sales Rep.

I understand the theory of breaking a motor in, I used to race RC cars and you had to do the same thing to seat the piston, etc.... But these are the same motors that get dropped in a car, and how many people do you know who break-in their motor in a new car.

I know this is a long standing debate and if you were to ask 10 people and you would probably get 8 different answers. But I am curious as to the truth behind what the actual SC dealer told me and what the manual says to do.

If you want warranty coverage, do what the manual says.

If you want to entertain the musings of some guy who has no stake in your boat lasting a long time, floor it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    If you want warranty coverage, do what the manual says.

If you want to entertain the musings of some guy who has no stake in your boat lasting a long time, floor it.
    Exactly my point, when I was looking at the Moomba, the dealer, who does have a stake in my boat lasting a long time, told me to drive it like I stole it.

it's MY boat not the thiefs so like the manual said, it got broke in gently. and no friend's were in it till the end of breakin when i could do more-actually after 76hrs dont think i have held it wide open yet, other than getting on plane. Did the same on the truck when bought new. I believe in treating my stuff nice so that it will treat me nice.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Why would you go against the recommendations of the manufacturer that has been making these for years?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I am, for the most part, very ignorant about the process. Thus my question, do you listen to the dealer whom you are buying the boat from and works on them all the time, or the manufacturer?

After taking several auto mechanics courses in college as electives, and seeing engine wear first hand, it only makes sence to break in the engine slowly. The first couple of hours are terribly important to prevent improper seating and later oil usage. My dealer told me to go easy on the engine and follow the break in guidelines. If you have plenty of money and just don't care then its fine. But if you treat you new toy rough, don't look to blame someone else when it only lasts a couple of summers and then quits or uses multiple cans of oil. You can tell by looking at the inside of an engine if it has been treated with care or not. Just a friendly warning. Take 7 hours and treat your baby right! Boat or Car!
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4

I have a friend who is a fleet mechanic for a large utility company that uses hundreds of vehicles. They are extremely careful about break in and he is the same way with his new stuff. He changes the oil in a new vehicle at 700 miles and then again at 3000. He claims that most of the wear in the first 3 years occurs in the first 3 months.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ok better question, maybe...

Why would the dealer who is selling me a Moomba tell me to drive it like I stole it right from the get go? From his rep I gathered from other members he is a good guy to deal with.

I would say they do have a stake in your boat, but it would be more of a maintenance stake than a "lasting a long time" stake. If you were to break it in, and take care of it, the maintenance on the engine should be much less. On the flip side, if you drove it like you stole it from the first time it got wet, I would assume maintenance would be much more often, and thus leading you to potentially go to them for the repairs. That would just mean more money in their pockets.
    So I can see from their perspective why they'd say drive it hard.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.