Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Intermediate Ski Selection

All this talk about new skis got me looking around too. I ran across a nice article that talks about how many of us don't need the skis the pros are using because we really aren't pros. It does a pretty good job of describing the different intermediate level skis. Enjoy:

http://www.waterskimag.com/article/F...-the-Right-Ski
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'l love to get some measurements on these skis (width, tunnel design, etc.) I bought a used high-end ski from a real enthusiast. I'm an intermediate but I love the full-tunnel design of my D3 Nomad. I feel like I can really put it on edge and let it grip the water. I'm wondering if I would be better served by another ski? Don't have the luxury of testing lots of skis so I will be with this one for a while. I like my stick.
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

Yeah, I'm thinking I would like to try an intermediate ski to see if there is any noticeable difference. I take it that no one here owns a Radar RS1 seeing how there has been zero response on my post.

Canuckle, what are you skiing on now? What level are you? I've progressed from a wide body with a RTP that I learned on to my D3 and I love the difference. So much easier to move around.

Oh yeah, I have two boots now and that's a big plus too. IMO

I would compare this to golfers: most people aren't pros, but pro equipment can't make them a less better golfer (you like my English). I try to ride any ski that I can in order to see what aspects of a ski I like (I do the same with wakeboards). A responsive ski is much more fun than a recreational ski (IMO). At the ski school I went to I rode a Monza, but it was a 70" ski with X large bindings and it was terrible. I like the Monza that I have (67" with my bindings that fit), so there are variables to your favorite ski.

Some people say "you don't need a MC/Bu/CC ski boat for a smaller wake unless you are a pro", but I think the smaller the wake when you are learning, the easier it is to learn. Starting out slalom skiing the biggest complaint from beginners is crossing the wake. Smaller is better, I want pro equipment, not the lastest wake boat.

Lastly, when you have pro equipment, if you don't run 38' off then it isn't the skis fault: it's the skiers inability (or usually the driver).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

The best ski ever is the last one you had a really good run on.
    While at Ski Paradise Gordon had me switch from my old Connelly Concept to a Monza he had. The Monza was a smooth ride, and the good news is it was an easy transition, but honestly I am not sure there was that much of a difference. I talked with a couple of guys who knew skis pretty well and we talked high level skis. They had something specific to say about each ski that made it different than the others and some are less suitable to my style (or lack of..).

At the end, Gordon put a deeper fin (from a D3?) on my Concept and I got a new wing for it. I am liking it a lot. Last weekend I tinkered with 41 off (open water) and was able to put together several decent turns. I know that I am no way skiing anything near a 'real' 41, but I am having a ton of fun...

I bought a new (last years model) Radar Annex this spring. it is only a 68" and I am afraid it is too small for me. It feels really sluggish, yet I have been told it should be light years ahead of my Concept. Go figure. I keep hoping I will lose some weight so I can put it through it's paces, but it did not happen this year.

Best thing you can do is try to ride a ski before you buy. Not easy to do these days...

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by graybmg View Post
    Canuckle, what are you skiing on now? What level are you? I've progressed from a wide body with a RTP that I learned on to my D3 and I love the difference. So much easier to move around.
    Right now I am skiing on an 1986 Connelly HP Graphite. I used to compete on an amateur level as a teenager. I was an amateur Provincial Champ when I was 16 who loved to ski but didn't have the funds (single mom) to get coaching etc.

To be honest it's been a about 16 years since I seriously spent any time on a slalom ski. So, I am trying to re-educate myself about whats new in the skiing world.

I think I'm going to demo a few of these babies............ Thanks for the article kaneboats

Canuckle, sounds like you probably have some pretty good skills so if you can afford it I'd buy the most ski you can. You'd probably outgrow a less advanced ski. But I'm new to the game so I might not be giving the best advice.

I'm going to ask a real dumb question here, but I figure that someone can enlighten me.
    I'm a surfer/boarder and have not been on a waterski in 25 years, and was only on one a couple of times then.
    I keep seeing references to 15off, 41off, 30off, what does that mean?
    I do boat with some waterskiers but I have not heard them use these phrases before, but if they do come up, I would like to seem somewhat educated as to what they mean..

help waterkski 101

thanks
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten