Thread: Water Depth

Hybrid View

Default Water Depth

I’ve just purchased a 2004 Moomba Outback LSV with all of the wakeboard bells and whistles. We have a small piece of wakeboard heaven in a local river. However, we must pass some shallow water to get to our spot. The specs for the Outback LSV state that the draft is 24”. Does anyone know if that includes the prop? What’s the minimum water depth needed to pass through assuming the boat is loaded to the maximum weight capacity?

My understanding is that this draft includes the prop. For example, on the Kanga, I've got about a 7" draft, add 13" for the prop, and about 2" clearance, and you get the 22" draft as published. While I haven't noticed significant weight bringing it down more than another inch or two, consider that the boat does ride back a bit and therefore, when in motion, a 22" draft is probably more along the lines of 26"-plus.

Does anyone else have experience with draft figures? How about whether anyone has had issues with the water intake in shallow areas? We're in such a shallow area, this is a major concern - I'm interested in feedback from others.

Thanks in advance!

Default Replying to Topic 'Water Depth'

Riloo,
    The draft figure published by the manufacturer does include the prop. I believe as Rusten stated it also includes a small safety factor. As a general rule I would try to operate the boat in a minimum of 26 inches of water when the boat is loaded to the capacity stated on the sticker in your boat, and then I would only idle the boat. If you are further weighting the boat then I would say more like 28-30 inches minimum. Better safe than sorry. I'd be buying a spare prop if you have to navigate that all the time.

Rusten
    I have idled my boat (Outback LS) thru water that was slightly less than 2 feet deep and did not appear to pick up any debris thru the intake. However, we did pull the boat up onto the shore (beached) a few times last year and one of our friends did fire the boat up while I was trying to push it away and we picked up some sand. So yes, it does seem possible to pick stuff up thru the intake, be careful when operating in very shallow areas. Or at least that's my opinion.
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI

I have a 2003 Outback LS. I live in a cove which late in the summer gets less than 2 feet deep.When the water is low everyone sits near the front of the boat until we get into deep water. When it gets weedy I pull the water hose off the trans cooler inlet occasionally (with the boat on the lift),and usually pull some weeds out.
    jy

I too operate in shallow rivers, the deptgh gauge will usually read 2 feet and I can still idle through without much trobule, If I ever tag bottom, put peopl in bow of boat, and it will esily raise it by 4-6 inches and let you pas throgu. This has saved me many times, as my crrek to my house at low tide is roughly 2 feet deep

Dont know about the draft, but I have seen my depth guage go as low as .5 feet. I think that means it is measured from the lowest point, I drifted over the side of the loading ramp while launching and didnt hit anything.