Hybrid View

Default Can you surf behind an Outback (ski hull)?

I have an 07 Ouback DD (engine centrally located). Awesome for skiing. Has the factory Stage I ballast (300lb) sack in the back. It's OK for wakeboarding but great for skiing. Thinking about upgrading to a bigger sack in the back as my wakeboarding skills improve. Does anyone know if you can surf behind it? Or has anyone done it? I know that for hardcore wakeboarders and surfers a guy should buy a V drive. Didn't know if you could get it to put out a big enough wake to surf?
    thanks

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Ha Ha Ha. Every weekend!

See this thread (second post has a pic of my 6'2" 240 little bro surfing):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=outback+surf
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

SAWEET! Thanks Kane. Appreciate the Link......Made my day! That wake looks awesome for learning how to surf. I think I'll need to invite some additional friends tag along to weight down my boat and try it out before the snow flies. How'd u do it for 1200lbs? (mostly with people or water bags)?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Cool

I have an 07 Outback DD with no ballast but a wakeplate. Using 3 very large tupperware containers 3 of us managed to surf my boat. Aprox 600lbs weight total. Next yr a sac or 2 for ease of use and away we go. So to answer your question Yes it is doable.

I have a big storage locker on mine behind the back seat (the gas tank is under the seat). So, I put a 400 in there then one on the floor in front of the seat -- both pulled to the surf side. Then one lenghtwise next to the engine on the surf side. So I run about 1200 plus the biggest adult sitting in the corner and the kids spread around everywhere else.

Here's a couple more pics:

2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

You can see the wake is actually better when I'm in the boat. It's not just the weight but I will park myself exactly where it works best. If you can get cooperation from your guests it makes a huge difference (my wife will not be told where to sit).
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    I have an 07 Ouback DD (engine centrally located). Awesome for skiing. Has the factory Stage I ballast (300lb) sack in the back. It's OK for wakeboarding but great for skiing. Thinking about upgrading to a bigger sack in the back as my wakeboarding skills improve. Does anyone know if you can surf behind it? Or has anyone done it? I know that for hardcore wakeboarders and surfers a guy should buy a V drive. Didn't know if you could get it to put out a big enough wake to surf?
    thanks
    I thought it was more about total weight potential than v drive. But, certainly surfable!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hello all,
    Sorry if I am asking a repeated question. My boys have been hot on surfing and I am not in the market for a new boat right now so I got some ballasts for my 2006 Direct Drive Outback (310 Carb Indmar). My bags take us to the weight limit and I am very careful to stay below it, but wondering if there is any concern about the engine or anything I need to be cautious of for it? We are loading the surf side with a 500 and the back under the seat with another 500 will the listing cause a problem with enough oil in the pan to protect the engine correctly?

Thanks so much for any advice and stay safe all.