Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Can you surf behind an Outback (ski hull)?

I have an 07 Ouback DD (engine centrally located). Awesome for skiing. Has the factory Stage I ballast (300lb) sack in the back. It's OK for wakeboarding but great for skiing. Thinking about upgrading to a bigger sack in the back as my wakeboarding skills improve. Does anyone know if you can surf behind it? Or has anyone done it? I know that for hardcore wakeboarders and surfers a guy should buy a V drive. Didn't know if you could get it to put out a big enough wake to surf?
    thanks

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Ha Ha Ha. Every weekend!

See this thread (second post has a pic of my 6'2" 240 little bro surfing):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=outback+surf
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

SAWEET! Thanks Kane. Appreciate the Link......Made my day! That wake looks awesome for learning how to surf. I think I'll need to invite some additional friends tag along to weight down my boat and try it out before the snow flies. How'd u do it for 1200lbs? (mostly with people or water bags)?

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Cool

I have an 07 Outback DD with no ballast but a wakeplate. Using 3 very large tupperware containers 3 of us managed to surf my boat. Aprox 600lbs weight total. Next yr a sac or 2 for ease of use and away we go. So to answer your question Yes it is doable.

I have a big storage locker on mine behind the back seat (the gas tank is under the seat). So, I put a 400 in there then one on the floor in front of the seat -- both pulled to the surf side. Then one lenghtwise next to the engine on the surf side. So I run about 1200 plus the biggest adult sitting in the corner and the kids spread around everywhere else.

Here's a couple more pics:

2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

You can see the wake is actually better when I'm in the boat. It's not just the weight but I will park myself exactly where it works best. If you can get cooperation from your guests it makes a huge difference (my wife will not be told where to sit).
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sled491 Guest

Dude, was surfing behind my 07 Outback today. 800 across the back (seat in sun deck position), 600 down the surf side. Sitting on top of that it looks like a 3 ft drop in, no props. 10MPH, I surf a Walkers Project, weigh 185. My 9 yr old can go all day on my board with 800lb balast. Oh yeah, we have no tower!

Sled491 -
    That's cool. Any pics of your setup would be helpful. I might just have to get a couple extra fat sacs to get set up right. Or bribe some heavy friends with a late afternoon of "beer on the water"

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

OK - got my bags coming for surf setup.
    Anybody running a different prop? I have the stock setup (i think it's an 11X13)? I have it sent off for tuning right now so can't be certain on size.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    OK - got my bags coming for surf setup.
    Anybody running a different prop? I have the stock setup (i think it's an 11X13)? I have it sent off for tuning right now so can't be certain on size.
    Not to hijack the thread, but where did you send your prop for tuning? I wrapped a rope around mine this summer and, while it was only loosely wrapped, think I may have knocked it out of true. Thanks.