Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kaiyen Surf Setup

Building a surf wave is certainly a process, so thought I would create a post to track my experiences and setups on my Kaiyen. This is my first tow boat, so I'm by no means an experienced veteran when it comes to surfing fresh water boat wakes. My typical crew consists of just my wife, 4 yr old, and 2 yr old, so I'm a bit handicapped when it comes to overall displacement.

Setup 1: Stock Ballast

Surf side: Port
    Ballast: 100% L, 100% R, 100% F
    Surf Tab: 60%
    Wakeplate: 0%
    Amplitude Meter Potential: ~30%
    Speed: 11mph

Setup 2: Stock Ballast + 500 lb Lead

Surf side: Port
    Ballast: 100% L, 100% R, 100% F
    Surf Tab: 50%
    Wakeplate: 0%
    Amplitude Meter Potential: ~40%
    Speed: 11mph
    Lead Location: 200lb port rear locker, 100lb starboard rear locker, 100lb midship (50 each side), 100lbs bow (50 each side)

Certainly open to setup recommendations and encourage anyone else to post up their maxed out Kaiyen setups!
    2020 Kaiyen

Perfect example of what 500# can do.

If you got enough push and a long pocket, what more do you need?

Another 250# will help, what are your pitch and roll values? Do you have autowake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Perfect example of what 500# can do.

If you got enough push and a long pocket, what more do you need?

Another 250# will help, what are your pitch and roll values? Do you have autowake?

I have Autowake, but I don't really use it. I'm sitting at ~9.5 deg pitch and -1 roll with my current setup. I'm pretty happy with the push... it's perfectly fine for shooting me towards the transom on my slow ass Ronix Modello Stubfish as long as I'm forward on the wave.

I do want to try to lengthen the pocket next by playing around with the wakeplate, speed, and lead placement some more. I also have a 750lb fat sac that I want to throw in the middle of the floor to bump up displacement, but my wife / kids get impatient when I play around with that...

Maybe the experts can help with this one... when the boat is turning slightly to starboard, the wave stacks and curls really nice. Is there a way to replicate this dynamic with just the tabs / weight placement? Maybe start chasing some more roll?
    Last edited by rhouse181; 07-08-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    2020 Kaiyen

Try your autowake surf preset and see what moomba sets for pitch and roll. I assume moombas have factory surf presets.

My guess is 7.5-8.0 pitch and -2.5 roll, and 25% wake plate on regular side.

Lowering the pitch and adding a little wakeplate will lengthen the wave pocket.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Try your autowake surf preset and see what moomba sets for pitch and roll. I assume moombas have factory surf presets.

My guess is 7.5-8.0 pitch and -2.5 roll, and 25% wake plate on regular side.

Lowering the pitch and adding a little wakeplate will lengthen the wave pocket.

I had great success with my Mondo using AutoWake with the factory settings from the onset, but my Kaiyen factory settings were way off from what they should have been and it was very frustrating right from the beginning...
    Surf Regular: -5 roll ~ 8 pitch ~ surf tab 70
    Surf Goofy: 5 roll ~ 8 pitch ~ surf tab 80
    Also the inclinometer was off as well.

After watching the AutoWake and Wake9 videos, my set up is as follows:
    Surf Regular: -1 roll ~ 8.5 pitch ~ surf tab 40
    Surf Goofy: 3 roll ~ 8.5 pitch ~ surf tab 60
    Wakeplate @ 25%

The actual amplitude is at the top of the middle bar with a crew of 2 adults and 6 teenagers and AutoWake usually adjusts the ballast consistently to 100% bow, 100% port & 90% starboard for regular. I don't use lead and even with less of a crew, the wave is long and steep... I'm very impressed.
    2020 Moomba Kaiyen > Finally on my lift!
    2017 Moomba Mondo > Traded
    2000 Moomba Kamberra > Traded

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Ken View Post
    I had great success with my Mondo using AutoWake with the factory settings from the onset, but my Kaiyen factory settings were way off from what they should have been and it was very frustrating right from the beginning...

Wakeplate @ 25%

The actual amplitude is at the top of the middle bar with a crew of 2 adults and 6 teenagers and AutoWake usually adjusts the ballast consistently to 100% bow, 100% port & 90% starboard for regular. I don't use lead and even with less of a crew, the wave is long and steep... I'm very impressed.
    Hey Ken, I had the same experience with Autowake. Inclinometer was 6+ deg off and the boat was pumping down surf side ballast and all kinds of weird things.

I’ll give your setup a shot! What speed are you surfing? Glad to hear you have her dialed in finally...
    2020 Kaiyen

Quote Originally Posted by rhouse181 View Post
    Hey Ken, I had the same experience with Autowake. Inclinometer was 6+ deg off and the boat was pumping down surf side ballast and all kinds of weird things.

I’ll give your setup a shot! What speed are you surfing? Glad to hear you have her dialed in finally...
    My apologies I forgot to mention the speed... 10.8 mph

If your inclinometer is off 6 deg, you have no shot getting Autowake to work correctly.

That’s a shame the factory calibration was that far off.

I know the dealer has a checklist before delivery, at least my dealer does and I would expect calibration of autowake sensors to be on it.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Ken View Post

Wakeplate @ 25%

Did you re-calibrate your inclinometer yourself?
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Did you re-calibrate your inclinometer yourself?
    Yes... I downloaded the same app that RagBoy mentions in his latest video: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/clinom...el/id286215117 used it set the 0 for both pitch and roll when I was in the boat by myself and then double checked it against what the boat read with people in the boat and while surfing.