Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

a pocket of water isnt going to do damage because with the plugs out the ice has room to expand which would be little to none cause all the water is drained

Ice expands about 10% when frozen over water If you never pulled plugs yes you will have a problem with all that trapped water

I have seen what happens to a block when it isnt winterized It blew the plugs out and made a small crack where the plug blew out not as bad as you would think not block splitting or anything like that
    2007 Outback V

Great now I don't know what the hell to do, haha. IF I do use anti freeze what will i need? Any type of flush kit? I kind of like the idea of doing both. . . maybe not, wtf! If you drain it there is no way of knowing if you got it ALL out. With my luck there would be some pocket that didn't empty and it would end up cracking something. What is the process if I use anti freeze?
    2009 Supra Launch 21V

Sorry c.rix I didnt see your last post when I made the "pocket" comment.
    2009 Supra Launch 21V

Its all good you can flush it if you like, but like I said we have done our 3 boats like has been described no anitfreeze and had no issues what so ever.
    2007 Outback V

Flyer from my dealer describes basic winterization as add fuel stabilizer, run engine and flush with fresh water, fog engine, drain and fill block with anti-freeze, spray engine with anti corrosion spray. A little over 200 bones. Extra 90 to winterize the ballast system.

Talking to them about it they said they've had some trouble in the spring with somes boats with had the engine fogged so they may skip this.

Now I'm completely confused as well.

Thinking I should just follow the previous post on the site and do it myself. Although having an authorized mechanic do it this first time should protect me warranty wise if something goes wrong.
    2008 LSV

"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies"

Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Talking to them about it they said they've had some trouble in the spring with somes boats with had the engine fogged so they may skip this.
    More details please, I plan to spray in the throttle body while running, then removing the plugs and squirting each cyclinder.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    More details please, I plan to spray in the throttle body while running, then removing the plugs and squirting each cyclinder.
    They spray the TB but don't do the plug removal and spray each cylinder.

Has everyone else heard of troubles with fogging the TB come the spring?
    2008 LSV

"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies"

Default Michigan winterization

For the last 20 years I have winterized my variious inboards by myself and never had an issue. I put the boat in the water with stabil gas stabilizer in the tank, run the engine 5 minutes after it reaches normal operating temp 160 -180 degrees.

next I put the boat on the trailer, while still in the water I run the engine and pour 30 wt or 10w - 30wt oil down the throat of the carb or throttle body, until smoke comes out of the exhaust. While it is smoking, i shut the engine off.

next i take the boat out of the water,pull the drain plug and tow it home.

In my garage or driveway, I perform an oil and filter change.

next, I pull the engine block plugs, the trans cooler plugs, the fuel cooler plugs and the hoses of the water pump as well as remove the impeller from the water pickup pump. I put everything back together except the impeller in the pump.

next I remove the thermostat cover and pour in RV antifreeze, two gallons ussually does the trick.

Then a complete cleaning of interior and exterior followed by a wax job and remove the battery to be stored in a heated closet.

In the spring, vacuum the interior, was the exterior. replace the water pump impeller, and battery. As well as make sure that all hoses and plugs are installed and tight.

Then it's off to the lake for a summer of pure entertainment.

This does the trick for me and the winterization takes about 30 minutes and an hour or so for the cleanning and waxing. As I stated, never had a problem and my boats always look showroom new.

a pocket of water isnt going to do damage because with the plugs out the ice has room to expand which would be little to none cause all the water is drained

Ice expands about 10% when frozen over water If you never pulled plugs yes you will have a problem with all that trapped water

I have seen what happens to a block when it isnt winterized It blew the plugs out and made a small crack where the plug blew out not as bad as you would think not block splitting or anything like that
    I'm simply not willing to risk engine damage in -40C/F winters if my garage heater failed. That's just me though, I'm glad you have a system worked out.

Has anyone here actually found a marine mechanic that winterizes without antifreeze?
    1998 Moomba Outback, Indmar Blackhawk

Dunno if this is because of newer engines or climate where I live, but none of the mechanics I've talked to fog their engines anymore. Makes it hard to start in the spring.
    1998 Moomba Outback, Indmar Blackhawk