Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Winterization: Anti Freeze or Drain?

We only have a few weeks left to actually use the boat and I'm starting to think about the winterization. I've read the acticle that Cab wrote on how to drain everything but I was thinking it might be easier just to fill it with AF. This is my first boat so I'm not sure what hell I'm doin.
    2009 Supra Launch 21V

I have a professional do it and they use anti-freeze. I try to convince myself that if I have block freeze after they do it - they pay. Not sure how that would actually play out...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

How much do they charge?
    2009 Supra Launch 21V

I just drain mine and leave plugs out

After snowmobiling in northren minnesota we stopped at the cabin. In the garage we had a few bottles of rv&marine antifreeze which wasnt froze but was solid slush and the bottles were bloated. It was 0 for a high that day about 15-20 below 0 at night. Not sure if you topped off your boat with anitfreeze if it could blow the freeze plugs or split the block at those temps, but I dont want to chance it. especially since we can have temps that will stay well below 0 for days sometimes.

venom93 - after searching around last fall for prices to winterize here in minnesota it was ~300 so I did it myself using a step by step post another member put in the service section here

After doing the winterization myself I cant believe they charge 300+ for it cause it took me 1 hour my first time!!!
    2007 Outback V

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....=winterization

Here is the link to the directions I used last year !!!
    2007 Outback V

Unhappy

So you don't bother with antifreeze , should i be worried about rusting the inside of the blocks . Do you leave plugs out thru out the winter. I am up in Canada so we get cold as winters here as well boat is in insulated garage without heat though so temps get well below 0 degrees celcius. Reason doing my own winterizing is sevice prices jumped to the moon this year went up by 200 dollars so for complete winterizing and oil change looking at around 450$ . I have put a post up in service and repair was asking about using a fake a lake to install antifreeze so torn as to what to do antifreeze or no antifreeze.

our dealer charges us $180 for a winterization that includes antifreeze, and more importantly the engine fog.
    I keep mine in an insulated garage that stays around 58-60 all winter, so no issues.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I did my boat last year this way because engine nut recommend to do it that way
    the same day we also did my buddys malibu and mastercraft all done the same way all kept in cold storage

As far as I am concerned the water jackets are have build up in them anyway Like
    was posted by sandm Its important to fog the motor pulling spark plugs spraying fogging oil in each then install plugs again also spraying fogging oil down the intake keeps everything lubed for the winter

The ballast on the malibu and craft have hard tanks not bags so we pumped in some antifreeze then pumped out till we saw pink coming out... they wanted the peice of mine I just blew out my manifold like you would for a sprinkler system

wow sandm thats cheap I may have gone that route if I found it that cheap here
    2007 Outback V

Cool

I do a combination of both. I flush engine. Add antifreeze and then pull all plugs/hoses and leave undone untill spring with remainder in motor being antifreeze. All plugs left out. three winters up to minus 40 celcious and no problems. Do the fogging and change oil as well and don't forget impeller as well.

You're crazy if you don't use anti-freeze. Well, let me rephrase - if the temps get below freezing, you're crazy if you don't use anti-freeze. Flush it all, leave the plugs out, best of both worlds. No pockets of water to cause expensive problems.
    1998 Moomba Outback, Indmar Blackhawk