Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winch strap

Angry winch strap

The strap on the winch on my trailer broke the other day. I noticed its only rated for 2500lbs and my Outback weighs 3000lbs. kinda piss poor planning on Moombas side. I also noticed when I replaced the strap that the winch says its a 1500lb winch, wondering if that will go out too?? Anyone had the same problem?

All straps i've seen are rated either 1800 or 2500 lbs., a 1500 lb. winch would be normal as well. The reason those ratings are ok is that is that it's pulling the boat onto the trailer in the water while floating. If you're pulling your boat onto the trailer and it's hard to do then the trailer is not in far enough and it will either break the strap or the winch.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thats kinda what I figured, I did find a 5000 lb strap though, problem is the lake was so low, its hard to get the trailer in far enough, thought I might have to haul it out on the ice!!!

My strap broke as well when coming out of a really steep and old launch. I bought a replacement and noticed that it was rated for 4000 lbs. They look the same.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

On my first outing with my Mobius I snapped a drive gear on the winch - split it right in half. I had been accustomed to being able to cinch it up on the old runabout with the EZ Loader trailer with rollers. I was only tryying to move the boa about an inch forward on the bunks, but completely out of the water (and up-hill).

Nearly took my head off when the gear chunk came flying out of the winch.

I think I got a slightly beefier winch to replace it - but I still never try to dry winch it.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

When the bunks are wet and on a slight downhill, hit the brakes semi-hard and the boat will slide forward an inck or so up to the roller.
    2007 Mobius LSV

How long is the current winch strap? For my 2005 XLV, it was a 10' strap that, when wound up, it was just such that I could winch it up tight. I could only find 20' and 25' replacements locally. When wound up, the radius is greater, and it is extremely difficult to load the boat because of less mechanical advantage. I guess that I'll have to look for a shorter replacement on-line. Either that, or... maybe it's time to look at an electric winch? I don't know where to start for that.

Great I bought a 20' strap !! Problem is the lake is so low this year! Might look for a new winch over the winter I wonder what they use on the bigger Supras if I find out Ill post it on here. Maybe the good old days with rollers on the trailer eh??

If'n you do put rollers on that trailer then make sure you don't undo the winch strap until it's in the water and hook it back while in water also. Seen and heard too many stories of the heavier boats rolling right off on the ramp when at a steep angle!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Definitely seen that. Ouch!!! It does help to splash a little water on the bunks before you winch up.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!