Thread: Board To Small?

Default Board To Small?

I just picked up my new Gravity Games XLV about 3 weeks ago and have been loving every minute of it. I got a great deal on a Ronix vault 134, I weigh 168 pounds and I am 5'9". I do feel the board to be a little slow, but have nothing to compare to since this is my first board and I live in an area with no wake stores around. I notice when jumping the wake at 19 MPH I feel that I have to really work to get across like I am not getting any lift off the wake. I know technique will be the main factor but do you all think I might need a bigger board, like a 140 or so? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Yes, that is pretty small. I am the same height and weight, and I ride a Shane 140, which is pretty much right. For conventional boards, you should be on a 138 or 140.

Note that there are some unconventional boards, like the Liquid Force Fish, that have different sizing. My Fish is only a 129cm board, but it's wider than the Shane, thus having nearly the same surface area.

The XLV does have a somewhat wide wake, especially at lower speeds. While my skills are lacking, I'd say that it's not worth trying to make it wake-to-wake lower than 21 or 22 MPH. I only use 19-20 MPH for one-wake practice drills.

ya, it may be small, but i don't really know, i am a bit bigger than you, 6-2 195 i have rode a 134 CWB i felt like i was sinking at 19, even on my 142 now, i would agree with ian about the speed.

however, i am looking for a 134 size for my teenage kids and their friends, so if you want to get rid of the board, i may be interested!

I agree that board may be a smidge to small. However, different strokes for different folks, some people like the feel of a smaller board its just about what you feel comfortable with. But since you already have it try speeding up to around 22 or so.
    2005 Mobius LSV

Yea, thats what I figured, will be looking for a bigger board. I almost get across at 19, i just case the wake pretty hard. I did shorten the rope to 55 feet and was making it without a problem last night. yearround I might be intrested in selling once I find another board, are you looking for the bindings to?guinsha54 where are you at in birmingham? I live in Guntersville. Was wondering if you know of any shops in your area because there are not any out my way. Once again thanks for the info.

Matt

If You check out wakeworld.com reviews on boards they usually tell you some kind for weight range so you can get a better idea. I ride a hyperlite era 137 it says up to 175 lbs for a weight. I have riden larger boards and in my opinion they usually feel more stable put harder to throw tricks with because of the extra length and weight of the board.

I give this link out all the time cuz they have great reviews of new equipment and keep the older stuff around a long time.

http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjwray View Post
    Yea, thats what I figured, will be looking for a bigger board. I almost get across at 19, i just case the wake pretty hard. I did shorten the rope to 55 feet and was making it without a problem last night. yearround I might be intrested in selling once I find another board, are you looking for the bindings to?guinsha54 where are you at in birmingham? I live in Guntersville. Was wondering if you know of any shops in your area because there are not any out my way. Once again thanks for the info.

Matt
    I live down in Hoover and ride a smith lake but originally from Decatur. There are several shops around, check out All Pro Marine in Huntsville probably the closest to you, I know they carry Ronix and maybe some others. There is Alabama Water Sports the Moomba dealer in Athens that carries Liquid Force. Also there is Rambo Marine that carries Hyperlite up in Hazelgreen. Down here there is also a Rambo and Ski’N’Stuff that carries Ronix.

The wakeboarding scene in Guntersville is pretty strong and some local guys have a good website that you can use for reference at http://www.wakefactory.net
    2005 Mobius LSV