Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tools in your onboard tool kit?

So I have been on West Marine site for the last few days putting together all the safety equipment I need for the boat like, dock lines, vests, first aid kit, etc...

I started looking at tool kits, but was wondering if buying a tool kit with "X" amount of pcs was the best way to go or should I get a small waterproof tool box and stock it with only the tools I will need.

What have you guys done and if you bought the tools individually, what do you recommend as necessities for an onboard starter tool kit?

You need the tools to get a minor boat repair fixed, get you back to your trailer or to fix your recreation gear (i.e. skis, boards or ropes). I carry a knife, goggles & snorkel, fib, philips and straight screwdriver, prop puller, spare prop, spare parts, crescent wrench, first aid kit and locking pliers. A Leatherman is always nice to have around.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

What ever "box" you get, spray it with the garden hose 1st and then check to see if its still dry on the inside. I have one that i bought that has not stayed dry---everthing is rusted and and when i went to use it rust water came dripin out all over the floor of the boat. Need to get another.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I learned the hard way that a knife is a necessity!! 45 minutes of pulling a tube rope off of the prop was a key indicator I had forgten a very important detail. I also found out my swim deck floats!

Good stuff!

On the box, I saw some at WM that had an o-ring seal around the top that looked pretty good for a small set of tools.

Guma,

Did you just purchase your Moomba! If so West Marine will give you a FREE Toolkit. It has almost everything you need to do minor repairs on the water and the best part is if it does get damaged well .............Hey it was FREE!!!

I got this tool kit at Costco. 30 bucks.

Nylon bag so no rust. Lots of little pockets and so fare no rust on any tools as most are pre coated.

Ive added more but it comes with a small saw, knife, screwdrivers, pliers, and other goodies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Olympia? Did it come with a twelver?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My toolkit consists of an impeller, wrench and needle nose pliers so I can R&R the impeller, if necessary.

Guys this thread is perfect for me. I just bought my FIRST boat yesterday and i'm not quite sure of what i need. So just to recap :

TOOL LIST

-Dock lines

-First Aid kit

-Utility knife

-Goggles

-Screw drivers

-Extra prop

-Prop puller

-Crescent wrench

-Plyers