Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default boatmate trailer brakes locked up

Hey all, iv got a 05 moomba mobious xlv gravity games and yesterday i drove to the lake dropped the boat in, pull into the parking space. At the end of the the day went to get the trailer and couldnt bake out of the spot. Pulled forward a bit and still the trailer would not budge.

I ended up letting all the fluid out to get the trailer down to the ramp.
    this is probably the tenth time taking the boat out and never had this problem before.

usually we tow with a 08 yukon but this time i was using the company rig which it like a 01 or some thing chevy pickup 4x4. I forget the exact model. Iv used this truck once before with no problems. with both vehicles I use a adapter which is a flat four adapter and the trailer connector is a flat five. Could that be the problem. If so why did it happen now and not the other nine times. I hear there is a lock out pin but i cant seem to find this, on the boatmake trailer, with surge brakes, and tandem axle. I just dont understand why it did it now and not before. Could the actuator be bad?

Any Help would be great,

thanks Ian

I am not a mechanic, but you said you have a flat 5 to flat 4 adapter? If I remember the boat has a 5 pin whereby the 5th pin may be for the blue wire for the reverse lights that when energized will turn off the brakes alowing you to back up. If your missing that pin becasue you are only using a 4 pin, then the electrical brake lockout will not work - like backing up with the power disconnected. I have had my brakes lock up when reversing due to a bad connection in my plug. If you pull forward then very gently back up as to NOT to put pressure on the diaphram, then you should be ok. If your backing up hill it wont work. Then you need the lock out plug. you can pick these up at your boat dealer, or you can make something that will fit in the elongated slot on the tounge to prevent it from sliding.
    2009 Moomba Mobius LSV Liquid Force. Indmar 340HP CAT

In a pinch, you can also flip the connector over and plug it in and turn the lights on. This will energize the blue wire, which will disengage the brakes. Just don't forget to flip it back over so your trailer lights work correctly.

Yota
    The problem you had as the others have said was not having the 5 wire plug.
    With no reverse power to the blue wire the lock out solenoid was inoperative.
    Also you should have received a mechanical lockout with your trailer. I used elastic cord to strap it to the trailer that way its there if I ever need it.

I've heard that a nickle works as well. If you are stuck, tape the coin in the slot until you are going forward again.

That just happened to me too I used my buddies Titan instead of my Armada and his back sensor switch was malfunctioning and I was backing up a hill and it made my boat and trailer hop. I switched vehicles and the Armada worked fine. I had gone on vacation took the Titan and Armada one to pull the boat and the other to pull my jet ski. It reminded me of that episode of pull with a Armada and Titan I took pics I know I need help but it was cool.

2008 Mobius LSV Brittany Blue and Black

thank you for all the replies.

Im not the original owner of the boat and did not recieve the lock out key. thanks for the pics that helps alot.

I know to pull forward and back up slow not to engage the brakes. In this case they were locked up even trying to go forward. Well i wouldnt say locked up but they were on pretty good and as soon as i would hit the brakes at all they would lock up. Hard to describe. Im betting it is that im using only 4 of the 5 pins.

What really gets me is that iv been doing it this way all summer with no problems at all.

Sometime this week ill refill and bleed the brakes and get the right adapter and give it a shot.

And the adapter is the round kind used with gmc and chevy vehicles then the flat five goes into that. Which is ment for a flat four.
    Last edited by yotaismygame; 08-24-2009 at 10:24 PM.

The adaptor for the Chebies and the GMC is a 7 pin round to a 5 pin flat. Now the funny thing about that is the 7 pins are flat and the 5 pins are round, the actual copper conductors that is! But you can get that adaptor at all parts stores for around 15 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynes345 View Post
    I've heard that a nickle works as well. If you are stuck, tape the coin in the slot until you are going forward again.
    A 1/2 inch nut and some tape will also work.

so after getting the proper adapter and re bleeding the brakes still not good. I took the boat down to get gas , just a few miles away by the time i got there the brakes were really hot and slightly on like before. Im thinking its the mastercylinder.