Thread: fuel problems

Default fuel problems

Today was my first troubles with my moomba outback DD. It would not stay running unless I manually held the choke closed with my hand. I guess it is starving for fuel. The fuel filter is clear and everything looks ok. Haven’t tore into it yet but I thought I would get some opinions before I got to involved

had to replace me low oil pressure safety switch recently because of a similar issue. the engine would run just long enough to suck the gas out the bowl then quit. I checked a couple things and found out the fuel pump wasn't running when the engine was. replaced the switch and viola
    hope this helps
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

thanks, I will have to check that out.

keep us posted on yer progress
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I had a similar problem back in May. The connection between the fuel pump and the low oil pressure sensor was faulty. Once I re-wired the connection at the sensor it ran fine.

I decided to first check the fuel pressure by manually unscrewing the hose from the carb and try to start it to see if I had enough fuel pressure. I put the hose in a clear bottle and had excellent fuel pressure when i turned the motor over but the fuel looked horrible and didn’t even smell like gas very much. After letting the gas settle in the bottle you could see the separation from gas and water.. Looks like I just had bad gas. I don’t know if that explains why it would run only with the choke closed though. It really seemed like a fuel starvation issue instead of a bad gas issue.