Thread: oil question

Default oil question

Well the local walmart used to carry the penzoil 15w40 marine oil--been using it for the last 5yrs in the old boat, now they dont carry it and im unable to find it. The local parts place does not carry the 15w40 in any brand. but does have it for diesel trucks.

So what weight oil would you go with?? Brand?? Synthetic??
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Same thing happened to me. You can get the Pennzoil at Boat US or just about any other boat store. I decided to go with the Amoco one next to the Rotella at Advance Auto Parts. It has all the same ratings but cheaper.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I use the Rotello or Castrol 15-40. Both are easy to find here. I've always been partial to Castrol in my autos. I did use the Rotello last oil change.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

would it be ok to use 10-w-40????
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Is there no boat dealer that sells Indmar close by? I have to buy mine at the MasterCraft Dealer.

From Indmar:

Indmar recommends (and uses at our factory) Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. If Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil is not available in your area, we suggest using 20W40 or 20W50 oil meeting the API specification of SJ/CG4 or better.

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Well the local walmart used to carry the penzoil 15w40 marine oil--been using it for the last 5yrs in the old boat, now they dont carry it and im unable to find it. The local parts place does not carry the 15w40 in any brand. but does have it for diesel trucks.

So what weight oil would you go with?? Brand?? Synthetic??
    I contacted Indmar about this, you can use any 15w40 oil (automotive) and it will not void the warranty on the engine, same goes for the oil filter. They recommend the PZ-3 filter, but any filter can be used and warranty will still be honored.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    Is there no boat dealer that sells Indmar close by?.
    Actually two--the Moomba dealer and a Mastercraft dealer, 2 minutes apart from each other. I took and had the 20hr service done at my dealer but they used a napa oil filter so my thinking was they didnt use pennzoil oil. I'll give them both a call and find out if they have the correct oil.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

Maybe you have to ask for it specifically. I change my own oil, and I go into the dealer and specifically ask for a PZ-3 and the Pennzoil marine oil.