Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Simple fix...

toss the round peg away.

go to a machine shop and have a square chunk of alumanim that will fit tight into the square hole, machin the top portion to a round top with a ski rope swivel. Use quick release pins-like on the swim platform-to hold the pilon in 2 position's , high and low. I can picture it in my mind but may not be putting into a correct discription here.
    Last edited by moombadaze; 08-14-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

You may be on to something there 'daze. I can invision exactly what your saying. I would further that with a very thin delrin sleeve inside the square orifice as an aluminum to aluminum connection over time wears easily and causes galling which will bind.

OR

Just make a new setup completely like this guy did. I've contemplated this mod for a long time but as of yet have not really had a chance to really look into it. Someday ...

Custom Retractable Pylon
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ed, just out of curiosity what's wrong with cutting off the bottom of the tube?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz, very good point on the sleve

Across the bottom of the square hole is just a thin plate-shouldnt be to hard to remove that to get the drop down needed.

I dont picture the new pilon sticking up as far either-So the the new pilon will not be as long-really only needs to extended up about 2-3 inchs for the rope to not rub on the engine covers.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

yea, I second that one razzman... if it's being supported by a bolt, bottom shouldn't matter, and for drainage, it shouldn't be sealed anyway.

I'll post up pics when I get home this afternoon if you want them from a supra..

I guess I don't really understand what you are dealing with. it looks like a square hole with a round ski pylon that is permanently mounted and has some of it into the square hole with a bushing to fit. what's the diff if you take out the long one and put in a shorter one? with some kind of removeable pin assembly?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

or perhaps weld in a sleeve the diameter of the pylon you have, then just use the same bolt setup like the supra. it rides in a channel, and at the fully extended position, it spins 90deg and the bolt locks it above the channel it slides up and down in.

uncapping the tube should only take a couple of minutes with a grinder? or a metal recip saw?

Ed, yeah they are just jammed in and held with one bolt. The square bottomed pylon would be stronger imo. Also you wouldn't need to re-make the swivel as it's removeable. Just remove the top and the delrin swivel portion and re-make everything below that.

The only prob i see is that i don't think the square tube is long enough but i'd have to really look into that.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ok, how much would a 4x4x6 or 8" long chunk of aluminum going to cost?, how much would a machine shop charge to turn the top half into a round section that narrows at the top?-think- a ice cream cone upside down type of look. Reuse the swivel and we have a done deal.
    Last edited by moombadaze; 08-14-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    .... and it ain't gonna be cheap for the 1st one made

What ya thinkin $?? but what if there doing 2 at the same time
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold