Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Hide away ski pylon

2006 Mobius LSV

The '06 and I think even the newer Moombas have the extra ski pylon sticking right up out of the engine compartment. If you have kids (and even if you don't), you probably have realized the health hazard this pole can be.

The Supras have a nice hide-away style that I think twists and drops down into the engine compartment so that the top is flush with the compartment cover when not in use. Does anyone know if something similar can be purchased aftermarket and added to the Moomba?

I have seriously considered just removing the thing all together since it rarely gets used, but I don't really want the unused hole that will remain.

Someone maid their own. I do not know who it was but i think it was posted about a month or two ago. I cannot be sure since time has been flying by. I do agree that it would be helpful to have it drop down.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I have read parts of the book that EdG quotes from. i too anxiously await the arival of the retractable ski pylon, though not enough to remove it in the waiting.

my kids like to swing from the "tarzan rope" shortened T handle surf rope. it really hurts when they hit the pylon.

Please SC or some other genius, help this important matter come to pass!!! Razz and Newty, and others, are pretty smart, maybe they will make it?

hey Ed, don't hijack the thread with freudean quirks. let's get razz and newty to build a retract pylon for our moombas, nothing weird, this is the family section.

maybe TN boarder can you make the retractable pylon?

why can't you use the supra part?
    mine is nothing more than a round tube welded to the bottom of the metal plate that the engine cover latches to. the actual pylon is a round metal piece with a bolt in it to swivel around and stay in the up position.

if the metal bracket is the same width and mounted in the same spot on the moomba and supra, would be a matter of welding in the bracket and done..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    why can't you use the supra part?
    mine is nothing more than a round tube welded to the bottom of the metal plate that the engine cover latches to. the actual pylon is a round metal piece with a bolt in it to swivel around and stay in the up position.

if the metal bracket is the same width and mounted in the same spot on the moomba and supra, would be a matter of welding in the bracket and done..
    i understand it is not the same. would one of our lurking dealers on here let us know for sure? if you want to remain anonomous, send a pm to someone for you, we always hear things from a reliable little bird.

Thumbs up d.d. ski pylon

I know this is about v drives, but I have a d.d ('07 mobius) and the ski pylon was just in the way. I removed it and put a piece of black plexi-glass in the "ring" and it looks factory.If I ever trade or sell the boat, simple enough to put pole back in.

how's the ski pylon attached?
    if its bolted on the bottom, maybe some type of quick release and buy another one, cut it down to the stub and use it as a filler? swap the tall one for the short one when skiing?

now I'm going to stop by the dealer this weekend and check it out.

i guess i missed the photos and stuff from the earlier post. thanks for bringing them back.

for now, i think i will use the metric wrench, i have two, i am sure one will fit.

if i can get to a supra, i will look at theirs and try to get a better idea what to do. i just may try this mod. from the pics, it appears rather simple, but if you and daze were intimidated, then i just don't know if i could do it. i don't drink, so i can get my courage from the bottle either.

I have a supra, so I know what I am dealing with, and if anyone needs detailed pics,lmk..

now onto the moomba issue..

if it's bolted thru the sides, then it should be a bolt that takes no stress, as it's holding vertically and all the stresses of a skier are horizontal. why not create a hole thru it and use a pin setup like the platform to hold it in, then get a second one much shorter that is flush with the engine cover pad. swap them out when skiing, and back in when you want the sunpad?
    kind of a pita to swap them out where the supra is permanent, but probably a much easier fix..

or buy the round tube and pylon from skiers, cut out the square post, weld in the round one with a flange for added support and voila, done.