Default Any help with my kicker tower speakers?

I need help my friend who went to stereo installation school in Florida installed the kicker amp and kicker speakers for my tower. So shortly after they were installed one speaker blew. It lost it's ability to spring in and out. So I call monster tower and they called kicker and sent me two new speakers So today several days after second install I was playing music and hear some sssssss sounds making the intermittantly in and out and then the speaker started to smoke and then smell. So I disconnected one wire and tried to play tunes with just one speaker and then the power to my amps went out but only the deck had juice. Any thoughts? I just thought I only disconnected one wire from the blown speaker could the loose wire have touched the other connected one and blew the fuses on the amps? Or did my friend screw up where? Also the speaker that blew was on the same side. I only have one spare left and don't want to blow that one too.

any thoughts would be great
    2008 Mobius LSV Brittany Blue and Black

You need to recheck everything on how it's hooked up. It sounds like your friend may have screwed up. Did he go to Car Toyz University? Time to get a new friend.

Mark, sounds like they might be out of phase or the ohms are not correct. It won't help to check everything if your unfamilair with auto/marine stereo. What we need to know is this;

1) What amp is it?
    2) What kicker speakers are they?
    3) How is the system wired? Power wires? Fused? Etc.
    4) Is it all aftermarket stuff? Factory?
    5) Exactly what did you guys add?
    6) Single or dual batteries?
    7) If dual then how are they wired?
    Pictures, pictures, pictures, especially the amps and power wiring.
    2007 Mobius LSV

if you are not real familiar with wiring stereos. boat is probably not the best place to start, as they are cramped to work on and hard to trace wiring.
    if you have some electrical aptitude, ask away and as stated above, post lots of info, wiring and pics, and I would not recommend letting your bud touch it until you know what you need to look at and fix.
    if you do not have the aptitude or want to try, pay a stereo shop a few $$ and get it fixed right with a shop that will warranty their work.

sounds to me like a speaker wire shorting out to ground or across the other wire. that would cause the amp to protect. out of phase won't really matter, just may sound funny, and kicker should handle 2 sets of speakers no matter the wiring.
    might check the speaker terminal hookups at the amp and make sure that the wiring is continuous to the speakers with no poor connections or splices.

post up more and good luck..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

do tests with a a meter see if the speaker wire are shorted. the amp will go into protection mode if there is a short. sounds like this happened to you . remove all the speaker wire hook up the speaker with new wires just ran up the outside and play it see how that works

Hey Razzman thanks again for the bimini.
    not sure if this helps

1) What amp is it?
    kicker 250.2
    2)What kicker speakers are they?
    KS 65
    3) How is the system wired? Power wires? Fused? Etc.
    hard wired into the single battery
    4) Is it all aftermarket stuff? Factory?
    after market
    5) Exactly what did you guys add?
    two speakers and a amp
    6) Single or dual batteries?
    single
    7) If dual then how are they wired?
    the wire runs throught the tower

Pictures, pictures, pictures, especially the amps and power wiring.

do you think the blown speaker wire that I left hanging with the other still attached would touch the other side and then blow the fuses?

been a while since car audio days, but I believe that if you touch a speaker wire to ground, it will protect, and that may cause a fuse/breaker to pop. touching 2 speaker wires together with no speaker for load will do the same thing.
    I would guess that is what happened.
    reconnect all the speakers and ensure they are wired correctly with good connections and soldered/shrinktubed splices if needed, then before you power it up, check the connections at the amp and make sure that NO wires are touching each other. then check the wiring through the tower and make sure none of it has been cut to where it will touch each other.
    I, sometimes, will take a D-sized battery once all the speaker connections are done and touch each end of the wires at the amp to the speaker wires. the speaker cones will move. good way to verify that it's all wired ok before applying power(nice way to verify whole-house audio wires when they are all ran to a home-run location in a house as well).
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Sound advice from Sandm, check all your wiring and tie up those loose ends!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Hey all it ended up being the amp. The ohms tested incorrectly and it was hooked up to a more powerful setup in a car with subs that could handle it's max power and the amp itself started smoking so now I am trying to get it warranted by ebay and the power seller I bought it from.
    2008 Mobius LSV Brittany Blue and Black

Quote Originally Posted by MAPWPD View Post
    Hey all it ended up being the amp. The ohms tested incorrectly and it was hooked up to a more powerful setup in a car with subs that could handle it's max power and the amp itself started smoking so now I am trying to get it warranted by ebay and the power seller I bought it from.
    Interesting about your amp. I got one of my Kicker Amps. 450.2 and intermittently i get static in my KMT6. Really unpredictable to. Sometimes its low volume sometimes high volume but ive triple checked my whole system. Even swapped RCA cables and its still random. I think i might have a bad amp as well.

Who did you get the amp threw? Are you able to get it warrantied? You can PM me if you want to keep the seller private.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]