Hybrid View

Default thanks boatmate.. spare installed

well, after running almost 2 seasons without a spare, finally bought another rim when I needed 2 new tires. les schwab mounted the better of the 2 original tires as a spare. will be good in a pinch for that one trip home if we have a blowout. I trailer 40 miles roundtrip to the 2 different lakes that we go to, so it was only a matter of time..
    bought a spare holder at local shop, but wouldn't work for 6lug rims. not many do.
    sent jerry at boatmate an email, and after parting with a little cash and a week of time, this is the result.
    first class company and quick service for a painted-to-match piece. I'm very happy

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Nice! I need to do the same thing, how much did they get you for the carrier?
    2007 Mobius LSV

$80 shipped.
    was going to be almost $50 for a 6lug mailorder, so not too much more, it matches, and supported boatmate

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    $80 shipped.
    was going to be almost $50 for a 6lug mailorder, so not too much more, it matches, and supported boatmate
    looks really nice! you went thru boat mate for the support and they painted it correct?
    its something i been looking into as well.

go to boatmate website and order the holder. under the comments, put your boatmate trailer serial number and a note to jerry to paint the factory color. 7 days later you have it. great service..

This reminds me of the spare I bought the other year. I wanted to get a spare "just in case" so I ordered one from Overtons, just like the factory ones, the crome wheel with the Marathon tire. I alos bought a mounting bracket for it and mounted it to the trailer. Everything is fine, right? Nope. When I did have a flat, I put the wheel on the axle and started to drive. I hear this awful metal on metal screeching sound. As it turns out, the wheel I bought is slightly different that the factory ones, and it is dragging the brake caliper and cutting a groove into the back of the wheel. Luckily, I only went about 10 feet before I discovered this. The only way around it was to put a couple of washers on the studs before I put the wheels on, which is not really safe, but I didn't have a choice. So, word to the wise, if anyone has an aftermarket space wheel, you might want to check and see if it fits before you have to use it.